General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

COMPUTERS!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeffrey

Jeffrey Report 18 Sep 2004 16:56

Anyone got the same problem as me on the pc.I am running xp home edition and just recently every time I insert a cd or dvd into either the dvd rom or dvd writer the pc freezes and all I can do is reboot it. This is very frustrating and time consuming?Can anyone HELP me out? cheers,Jeff

Judy

Judy Report 18 Sep 2004 17:29

Elimination of PC maintenance and removal of spyware/adware if all that's been done, it could be the a piece of hardware may be on it's way out.....make sure anything of importance is backed up OFF the PC in case it's the hard drive..... Judy

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 18 Sep 2004 18:02

Don't want to depress you but mine started doing that when disks inserted ( and the hard drive light would stay on) and the hard drive was dying, now changed. Bob

Lucky

Lucky Report 18 Sep 2004 18:39

I have a thing happen sometimes where you put a disc in, no light comes on the drive and nothing happens, have to put it in and try several times. Could that be a similar thing. Diane

Judy

Judy Report 18 Sep 2004 19:24

The CD player in a PC will sometimes need replacing. Ususally, I have found, when PC maintenance is ruled out as being the porblem, freezing up is usually the hard drive on it's way out....take it as a sign to back up! I've pushed my luck with that one more than once and I knew better! Better to be safe than sorry.... J