General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Being ignored

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bec

Bec Report 20 Sep 2004 13:10

Hello I've (tried to) contacted several people through the site but noone has replied to me. Any ideas? I've been extremely polite and understand that some people want to remain private but why then put yourself on the site? And if there is no link what's the harm in letting me know so I can cross them off my list? Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks Feeling neglected Becx

Joy

Joy Report 20 Sep 2004 13:13

You could try what I have done - ask, in 'feedback' at the end of the page, if the people are still subscribed. Joy

June

June Report 20 Sep 2004 13:17

John, It was nearly 12 months before anyone contacted me but it was well worth the wait. I hope you dont have to wait much longer. Good Luck June

Anne

Anne Report 20 Sep 2004 13:53

John, I'm afraid its part of the 'game'. Some people reply and are incredibly interested. Others don't even though it would help them find out more about their families. When I don't get a reply I try to be charitable and think- perhaps they're on holiday or lost interest in family trees or their computer's broken or their email is getting junked or they're just lazy! In reality I'm FUMING!!!!! However the ones who have replied have been well worth it with even a photo of one of my husband's ancestors! Anne

♥♪ˇ Karen

♥♪ˇ Karen Report 20 Sep 2004 14:05

they probably haven't paid & can't send you a message. That's what I'm hoping is the reason why I haven't had messages returned anyway. Karen

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Sep 2004 14:08

Hi John don't be put off it happens to us all, i contacted a definate link 6 times, and no reply she is my cousins daughter, so in the emails i included info and my email, nothing then yesterday i had a mail through genes she has requested to look at my tree 4 months after my first contact. A friend also hadn't had a reply off the site after 6weeks last night she contacted him she had been on holiday for 6 weeks. I have quite a few contacts and links that have been very worthwhile, and i have exchanged old photos from the late 1800's and certificates. Happy Hunting Sandra

Mags

Mags Report 20 Sep 2004 14:12

As Joy suggests they may not be full members now and are unable to reply. I have recently received a reply from someone who became a full member again just to reply to my enquiry - although in saying that - I only had to wait a couple of weeks. It was well worth any wait - I now have contact with another branch of my husband's family and I am so excited! Not everyone replies to enquiries but if there is only one in every hundred that does reply and they can help progress your research then it will make all your wait worthwhile. Magsx

Bec

Bec Report 20 Sep 2004 14:15

Thank you everyone. Let's hope eventually someone will contact me. The frustrating thing is I would like to get as much as I can soon, my grandmother is 80 next year and it'd be such a nice surprise for her. By the way, I'm Bec not John. John is my dad who started the account but I use it! Thanks again Becx

Angela

Angela Report 20 Sep 2004 14:58

Hi John - I think it is only common courtesy to send a quick reply if someone has gone to the trouble to contact you. It only takes a couple of minutes to send an acknowledgement. Regards - Angela