General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Gas man called

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Sep 2004 21:43

You never know where help may come from! I really can't remember how I came to mention family trees to the meter reader, - but I'm glad I did. He told me he was going to research in Jersey with his wife and I said that my great aunt married a man from Jersey. Tonight the gas man phoned to say that he had found the family in the 1871 census and this gave me 4 new family members..... Thank you Tony.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Sep 2004 21:47

Gwyneth, That's brilliant. Unfortunately I am all electric and have a Key Meter or I would ask you to send him round. Jim

Speedy

Speedy Report 20 Sep 2004 21:47

See it is good to talk and I know what you mean, I find myself talking to others about reaserching the tree, glad to hear that you had some good luck from the gas man. Bev

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 20 Sep 2004 21:50

Gosh - you never know where your next lead will come from eh? lol

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 20 Sep 2004 22:28

this so made me smile!! You never know who is going to help you and when!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Sep 2004 22:36

Wow Gwyneth, great news! And what a nice gas man! Really pleased for you. Mandy :)

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 20 Sep 2004 23:05

My daughter was reunited with her father after 28 years, through a conversation I had with a customer who came into the restaurant where I worked as a waitress. When this man came to pay his bill, I noticed from his credit card that he had the same, very unusual name as my ex-mother-in-law. Turned out she was his Aunt, in other words, the customer was my ex-husbands cousin. The restaurant was some 500 miles from where my ex lives, the cousin was newly returned to England after living abroad for 10 years ...he was going to pay in cash but changed his mind...eh, hows that for spooky! Oh, we had been looking for my daughter's father for 20 years, Sally Army, Dss, Phone books - nothing! And the final odd thing? He had lived for many years about 100 yards from my Grandmother! (No previous geographical connection known!)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Sep 2004 23:12

That's amazing Marjorie. Perhaps we're just meant to meet up with these nice people to give us help.

Crista

Crista Report 20 Sep 2004 23:39

And I thought it was usually the milkman who helps add new members to family trees! :-) Crista

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 Sep 2004 08:19

hi gwyneth what lovely news for you, you never know where the info is going to come from such a nice gas man you have lol sandra

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 24 Sep 2004 11:19

I've just had one of those strange moments. When I got back from shopping, there were two messages on the answerphone both from the same lady. She was trying to order some ceramic tiles but had obviously been given the wrong number. (I have fitted quite a lot of tiles, but have never sold them!) Anyway, she had left her name, which fascinated me. It was my maiden name. She has just phoned again, rather angry to find she had been given the wrong number for the tile shop, but ended up chatting for ages when I told her the connection. Her family originated from a neighbouring village to my ancestors, so I now have her name, her father's and grandfather's name. I know the company founded by her grandfather, where her grandmother came from etc. I have promised to get back in touch when I find a connection. All from a wrong number........ I do hope she manages to order her tiles now I have given her the right number!

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 24 Sep 2004 12:46

My sister had one of those moments when she ran a B&B - a family booked in under my mothers' maiden name and she was certain that she knew them when they arrived but turned out to be not the case at all!! Saying that i wish you luck and it would be very weird indeed if you were related!! :O)