General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Obituary .........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 21 Sep 2004 18:03

OBITUARY Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend by the name of Common Sense who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm and that life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge). His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion. Finally, Common sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, she spilled a bit in her lap, and was awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers; My Rights and Ima Whiner. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still know him pass this on, if not join the majority and do nothing.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 21 Sep 2004 18:04

BRAVO ! Where do I send flowers ? Elaine x :o))

pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo Report 21 Sep 2004 18:07

Brilliant, and unfortunately so very very true. Christine

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 21 Sep 2004 18:08

Elaine I had it sent to me and couldn't think of a better place to put it, thought it said a lot Jan x

Big

Big Report 21 Sep 2004 18:31

100%

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 21 Sep 2004 18:40

Anyone got Tony Blairs e.mail addy ??? Think I'll send it to my MP.. Sue ~:0(

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 Sep 2004 19:14

oh so true sandra

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Sep 2004 19:20

How true. I can't believe how many obvious things need to be stated nowadays - boxes with information about how to open them, warnings that food heated in a microwave may be hot. It won't be long before babies won't be allowed to be born until they are accompanied by an instruction manual in 3 different languages! nell Please note: this message is heavily ironic. Do not take it too seriously. The bit about the babies was a joke. No disrespect was intended and the author is not responsible for any confusion caused.

SueinKent

SueinKent Report 21 Sep 2004 19:25

So very true

John

John Report 21 Sep 2004 20:26

Why did we let this happen? I like your addy Lynda.

Lindy

Lindy Report 21 Sep 2004 20:31

Good one Jan! How was the squid and spiders? Lindy;-)

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 21 Sep 2004 20:47

Well said, Jan! Today there was something at work involving political correctness (slightly different subject, but common sense does come into it I think); a chamberperson rather than chambermaid, chairperson rather than chairman, etc. Soon we'll all have to call ourselves huperson beings! No offence meant to any menfolk there. Can I just say that I do miss common sense, and hate red tape and political correctness! From Glenys, one of the personfolk who's a member of G.R.

squeekydeeky

squeekydeeky Report 21 Sep 2004 21:31

Simply brilliant! Have sent it far & wide. Shame there are so many people to whom it applies... Helen.

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 22 Sep 2004 07:36

Lindy still to do the spider squid for him. Glad you all enjoyed this as I said I saw it and thought it so true Love Jan

June

June Report 22 Sep 2004 07:58

I wish I could say this isn't true but sadly it is. (hope Del and the boys and of course you yourself are ok) Love June xx

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 22 Sep 2004 08:51

I am so going to pass that one on......