General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

should schools open later?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Sep 2004 15:36

heard on the news last week that some school are considering to open their door to children at7.ooa>m till 6.00p.m in the evening to help working families out.the children could have their breakfast at school and then be opicked up in the evening.my argument is the children are there to be taught by teachers who have enough stress as it is.childern have to be away from school to play out with there friends .and also sitting down with the family at breakfast which is important to have family discussions rather than being in a school hall with the teachersxx(:

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2004 15:38

good grief Lisa, are you trying to beat the record for most threads started in one day ? lol

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Sep 2004 15:39

no paul just got alot of questions to ask.had a surge in the old brain!!!!xxx(:

Daniel

Daniel Report 23 Sep 2004 15:45

Sit down as a family at breakfast? Never happened in this house. Dad's off at about 7:45, brother at 8:00, me at 8:15 and sister and 8:30 with mum. Just too hectic!

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Sep 2004 15:48

used to years ago.that's how they got there children to comunicate rather than the kids sitting in front of the box at breakfast timexxxx(:

Daniel

Daniel Report 23 Sep 2004 15:51

Lisa, are you at work today?

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Sep 2004 15:53

no at home now.what you been up to?xxxx(:

Daniel

Daniel Report 23 Sep 2004 15:55

I thought you were posting more than working. :-) Been to college, came back, had early tea, came on the boards. The days seem to be going quicker nowadays.

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Sep 2004 15:58

hardly anybody on here today.spoken to paul but he still hasn't mentioned about our vacation to the place with snowy mountains and santaxxxx(:

Daniel

Daniel Report 23 Sep 2004 15:59

I think he's got another woman. Disgraceful. :-(

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Sep 2004 16:02

dan i think i'm the has been .he chats more to manda than me now.boo hoo!!xxx):

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 23 Sep 2004 16:05

I think it would benefit people who perhaps have no choice but to work long tiresome hours and therefore could be a good thing!! My god-daughter used to go to after school clubs so that her mother could work and it didn't do her any harm.... in fact it taught her more practical skills than school did as they cooked etc whilst there!! :O)

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Sep 2004 16:07

for some it would be a godsend but the teachers are there to teach not to babysit.i think childrens work would be effected if this happenedxxx(:

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2004 16:11

Maz, not for the first time today I agree with you totally. I personally think that a child benefts from having it's Mother (or Father) at home until they're at school anyway. I understand the financial implications mean that isn't always possible, buat I still think it's the best way.

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Sep 2004 16:32

My children's schools have run breakfast and afterschool clubs, but these are NOT run by the teachers, they are run separately, but use the school buildings. I have used afterschool clubs for my sons when they came out of school before I'd finished (even though I work at a school!) and childminders. They preferred the club as they got to play on a playstation (we didn't have one at the time) and use the school playing field, whereas the childminder's garden was small and her own children they found too young to play with. Everyone has to do what is right for their situation. Governments tend to push whatever is politically right for them - eg during WW2 it was considered fine for mothers to work at munitions factories and send their children to live with strangers/spend all day in a nursery. After the war there was no nursery provision - my mother would have liked me to go simply so that school wouldn't be too much of a shock as I had been at home all day with her till I started. It was! nell

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 23 Sep 2004 16:35

Hi, I think it's not a bad idea as long as teachers don't have to run them. And as long as parents pay for the after school club and it doesn't come out of the education budget. Money given to schools is for education not childminding. Gwynne

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 23 Sep 2004 17:40

I think most Breakfast and After School/Homework clubs are run by outsiders - not teachers. Ours is run by the local YMCA. (no singing at the back!). It is too expensive for me so if I have to work after 3.00 I get a friend to bring them to my house - she has a key. Under no circumstances would my kids 'play out' - although I do see other parents in this area (which is regarded as 'deprived' and very built up with busy roads)who allow their kids of age 4 upwards out on the streets. Maz. XX