General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On this day in history

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 24 Sep 2004 18:59

Are there any useless facts for today?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 24 Sep 2004 19:05

Don't know about useless, Daniel, but it is the birthday of somebody from round your way!..Gerry Marsden, "Ferry cross the Mersey".. and Bramwell Bronte died, the brother of the bronte sisters, died of drugs and drink!..

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 24 Sep 2004 19:13

Another really useless fact - Fastest English Channel crossing by a relay team in 1985 (15 hrs 30 min).

Daniel

Daniel Report 24 Sep 2004 19:16

You Muppet! 1936 Jim Henson was born.

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Sep 2004 19:29

The Mr Potato Head toy was not actually launched until 1952, so it was certainly a long advertising campaign! In fact the first TV toy advert was for Mr PH, but it too was in 1952.

Daniel

Daniel Report 24 Sep 2004 19:30

I'll re-check. A bit early for ads! I'll take your word for it.

Geoff

Geoff Report 24 Sep 2004 20:27

The 1952 ad would have been in US - ITV only started in 1955 - first ad was Gibbs SR toothpaste.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 24 Sep 2004 20:55

My friend (who I have known for 35 years - oh my Gawd!!!) was born 42 years ago today! Happy birthday Trace! Maz. XX