General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

newcastle-on-tyne

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Judith

Judith Report 26 Sep 2004 08:00

Hi, would love to hear about Newcastle, "the Georgie way" etc. My grandmother came from Blayden, in 1914 and never returned. I travelled to Newcastle 3 years ago, but only for 2 days, would have loved more time. Her last address was Robinson Rd, but was told a big supermarket is now in its place. Her father was a "waterman". Life would have been very tough, but she was so cheerful and a wonderful grandmother, and to come out to Australia and live in a tin shack with the temperatures in the 40's - what a culture shock it must have been. Her maiden name was Reay, she married Henry Elder (also from Newcastle) regards judy from oz

Sand

Sand Report 26 Sep 2004 18:53

Hi Judith, I drove down the Blaydon Road only 3 weeks ago! It's changed a lot since those days. Geordies are a hardy lot, as your grandmother proved. Did you see the Great North Run on tv today? Some beautiful shots of Newcastle and my home town (the finish line) South Shields. I cried my eyes out when the Red Arrows flew over the Tyne Bridge--I get very homesick! There are some lovely photograph books out of Tyneside. One called 'Memories of Tyneside' is published by the Evening Chronicle', Newcastle's daily newspaper. Also you could try calling the Tourist Information Centre at Royal Quay, North Shields. They had some wonderful books, mainly photos. What do you want to know? I can tell you that Geordies are a tough bunch, that, no matter where I am in the world, I am Geordie first, English second! We are very strong on our roots and on our families. The Geordie accent is full of it's own vocabulary and expressions, and very confusing to a visitor! Newcastle is a very happening city, has wonderful architechture and BEAUTIFUL bridges. The coast is a half hour drive away, and is stunning. To the north of the city is some spectacular countryside--Northumbria is very wild, very photogenic. Hope this helps! Sal