General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flying the flag for Britain

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine2

Christine2 Report 26 Sep 2004 19:39

Hi all I have been back from holiday a week now but have been pretty busy and have only popped in and out briefly. One of the things that has been taking up my time is the brilliant paralympics. I haven't seen any threads about it - have I missed anything or am I the only sports fan on here? We are lying second on the medal table (second only to China who have brought hundreds of competitors this time). Have just seen us win the gold equestrian team medal (we are at the top of that table). The swimmers are winning medals daily, many of them gold (one swimmer has won 4). I could go on and on but I am probably only telling you all what you already know. I just thought that they all deserve our praise. Cheers - Chrissie

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Sep 2004 19:46

Yes Chrissie, they are doing great!, Yes Chrissie, they are doing great!. I did post a thread earlier in the week!, well done to them all.

Lily

Lily Report 26 Sep 2004 20:10

Fantastic - every one of them, just to have the guts and determination to take part. I feel very humble when compared to them...........what's a bit of arthritis compared to their problems?

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Sep 2004 20:16

There was a comment made on Points of View tonight about the lack of TV coverage the Paralympics was getting compared to the full coverage of the Easylympics. Jim

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 Sep 2004 20:21

I think that ANY one that manages to get selected for "The Olympics" whether disabled or fit, taking part in any sport, from athletics, to tiddley winks,deserves to be praised....... Even better if they come Good and get a Medal..... A Round of applause, is deserved. Bob Granpa Jim, moving on, from your comment about coverage, can any one tell me how much of the Shooting was covered? I realise that it may not be a spectator sport, BUT it IS a skill, that takes many years sometimes to perfect...and it hardly gets a mention...... Bob

Christine2

Christine2 Report 26 Sep 2004 20:40

Bob There has been some coverage, but with only 90 minutes a night and so many events to cover it is all fairly brief I'm afraid. Chrissie

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 26 Sep 2004 20:42

chrissie one of my bosses sons has won the silver in judo his name is simon rose he was born with eye cancer and so hes partially sighted his daughter was born with the same complaint and has undergone chemotherapy since the age of 6weeks old,poor little mite i think they are very exceptional people susie

Christine2

Christine2 Report 26 Sep 2004 20:44

Hi Daniel I was just going to reply to your message and say that is one of the great things about it. I don't think they see themselves as having problems, only aims and achievements just like the able bodied. But I see you have deleted your message. Chrissie

Daniel

Daniel Report 26 Sep 2004 20:46

eh?

Christine2

Christine2 Report 26 Sep 2004 20:46

Susie Please ask your boss to pass on my congratulations to Simon. I hope that his brave sister will go on to get well and achieve as much as her brother. Love Chrissie

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 Sep 2004 20:47

Chrissie, Yes you are right, the time coverage is limited. but during the Athens Olympics i only noticed two mentions... and they were only in the "roundup" of results.... i get the impression that shooting is a non preferred word...in the news, unless it is connected with violence.......which gives it an even more dirty name Bob

Christine2

Christine2 Report 26 Sep 2004 20:47

Daniel I didn't dream it did I??LOL Chrissie

Daniel

Daniel Report 26 Sep 2004 20:48

You did or I did? What was it I wrote?

Christine2

Christine2 Report 26 Sep 2004 20:49

Bob You could be right - I am afraid that I hadn't noticed. Chrissie

Christine2

Christine2 Report 26 Sep 2004 20:51

Daniel You have made me wonder if I am going senile. I could swear I saw a message from you saying how much you admired them and that Artheritis seemed a minor thing compared to what they had to put up with (this isn't word for word obviously - my memory isn't that good!!) Chrissie

Daniel

Daniel Report 26 Sep 2004 20:53

Definitly nothing to do with me. Lay off the wine tonight. :-) he he.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 26 Sep 2004 20:54

I wonder if it was someone else? If not I think that I had better go and have a lie down LOL Chrissie

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 27 Sep 2004 08:07

Chrissie, Dilys made the arthritis comment.........2nd reply,.......feel better after your lie down? LOL Bob

Lisa

Lisa Report 27 Sep 2004 11:42

we are all proud of your achievements for the country.it means so much.well donexxxxxx(: