General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merging trees - can it be done?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 26 Sep 2004 22:48

I put this on the tips board but no response there so here goes again. Having made successful contact and establishing relationship, I have been granted access to a relatives tree. I would like to merge the relative branches together but don't know how. Any advice please? Thanks Beth :)

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 26 Sep 2004 23:53

Beth, It used to ask 'Do you want to link this person?. sorry have not done it in the past, but I think the facility was there, but with the new 'revamp' things have not change for the better. Sorry not much help but am sure someone on here can advise. Kim

Judy

Judy Report 27 Sep 2004 01:25

I've looked and I don't see where you can merge your tree with another's using the GR site. You can, however, merge tree's by exporting someone's tree from this site in the form of a .ged file (with permission to access their tree) and then importing their information into your existing family tree program on your PC. Before importing, if it's not something you've never played with before, I suggest you open your own family tree program, SAVE AS and give your tree another name. This way you have 2 copies of your tree.....one to experiment with and one that won't be effected. Judy

Poolie Girl

Poolie Girl Report 27 Sep 2004 07:35

Hi folks, Getting nowhere fast with this problem. Judy, I can only export own tree so your suggestion won't work either. I have given up and contacted GR. I eagerly await their response. I will post reply when I receive it coz I bet its not just me who wants to know. Best wishes, Beth :)

Little Lost

Little Lost Report 18 Nov 2004 06:10

It would be nice to be able to merge trees. Then we could have one big genesreunited tree. Be better than one big world tree on ancestry. Gloria

Judy

Judy Report 18 Nov 2004 06:52

If you've made contact with a branch on the GR site, and they've allowed you to view their tree, perhaps they will be kind enough, if a connection is made, to e-mail you the information you want in the the form of a .ged file.....can't hurt to ask them! You would then be able to merge the information on your PC into one tree.