General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EARLY WARNING

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jim

Jim Report 27 Sep 2004 10:05

Hi everyone, I thought I'd best give an early warning of my departure from GC or whatever. I'm due to renew membership shortly and though I've not done the Boards very much of late, I have been assisting wherever I can in the background. Several of you have on going research with me and I have notified all that I can remember of my leaving, as a precaution in case I have forgotten anyone I say here and now that the only way to contact me in the future is by my personal E-mail address. Why am I leaving? Well after some years of good research via GC, I found the change to be working against me, many messages recieved from people who want me to hand all my research over without them doing any themselves, PLUS names have appeared on my tree that I did NOT put there. GC do NOT answer complaints about this or any other matter. What was to me the best site I ever used, has now become so garbled and mixed up that serious research is hard to conduct. I am gratefull to all who helped me in the early days, and wish the best of luck to those I have attempted to help in return. WHO AM I? I'm known as Jim Scott GC. Farewell.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Sep 2004 10:25

all the best Jim, I think they are going to lose quite a few of the earlier members because of the way the change has worked, but they wont care because they will capture new members. shame really that they don't appreciate th ones who kept it going in the first place but that is big business for you, only profit counts. Once we lost the personal touch when those who had the original 'vision' to start it handed over to a management team and took a back seat, it seemedd to lose something of the original ethos. However, all the best with your research. Ann Glos

Margaret

Margaret Report 27 Sep 2004 10:33

All the best Jim , i to have been a member for a long time and have got to know a lot of lovely people who have given me a lot of help its a shame Jim that you are going all the old members seem to be doing the same. Take care Margaret

Joy

Joy Report 27 Sep 2004 11:04

I wish you all the best for the future, Jim. Joy

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2004 14:17

Jim, Haven't spoken to you before, but wish you well in your continued research. Paul

Sue

Sue Report 28 Sep 2004 20:07

Jim Sorry to see you go :o( but I do understand your reasons. The site is certainly not what it was and has become a victim of it's own success, unfortunately. All the best, and happy hunting Sue

Jim

Jim Report 29 Sep 2004 20:07

Many thanks to all of you who have left messages for me, I shall miss the people who are genuinely interested in Research, likewise I shall miss the more personal contact with those who have followed up on advice or given help. 'Genies' all, Great or small! We are the best you will see, Why? Because we belonged to GC. Maybe we will meet up again at some function. Wear a GC Badge please! Not gone yet! JIM

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Sep 2004 20:31

Jim I am also not going to renew my sub, for mainly the same reasons. best wishes, nell

valinkent

valinkent Report 29 Sep 2004 20:42

All the best Jim ,sorry you are leaving but i also understand , Lots of people have helped me get started on my tree ,and if all the people like you start leaving there will be a lot of people out there who will not know how to start . Good Luck Val

Chunkie2

Chunkie2 Report 29 Sep 2004 20:46

sorry to see you go jim im thinking of giving it up too, all i get these days is requests that involve long winded searches that either they dont want in the end or no thanks, but i hope to see you around the curcuit and hope you hunting continues to be a pleasurable one