General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Zimbabwe/Rhodesia Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2004 08:08

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2004 09:03

I wonder if anyone can advise me on how to get a copy of the death certificate or obituary notice for someone who died in a plane that was shot down in Rhodesia in February 1979. I would also be interested in any newspaper articles about it. This was the only thing I can find about it so far - http://home.iprimus(.)com.au/rob_rickards/viscounts/crewpax.htm The person that I am interested in is Lt Andrea Mason who was in the Army at that time. I believe she did have a full millitary funeral. As Andrea was British but living in Rhodesia, I have written to the British Embassy in Zimbabwe but they have not replied. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Regards Margaret

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Sep 2004 10:08

Was she in the British Army? If so her records may be held in UK. Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2004 20:20

Thank you for your replies Ann and Pauline. Andrea was in the Rhodesian Woman's Services (RWS). She may have had to have given up her British Citizenship to joing the Rhodesian Army? I hope that someone can advise me on how I can get a copy of her death certificate? Regards Margaret

Maggie

Maggie Report 29 Sep 2004 00:58

Hi Margaret Have added to Tips list so won't repeat here but hope it helps. To explain bit on parents call - they still live out there so may be able to get inside info. May take a few days as they have just moved house so waiting for phone to be re connected and not sure how long that will take? Regards Maggie H

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Sep 2004 11:00

Hi Ann, She was in the Rhodesian Woman's Services. Thanks anyway. Hi Lindy, You right - long time to chat :o)) By the way, I loved Portugal!! I did try that email address and it was returned. I did use the correct at sign in case you wondered! Hi Maggie, Thank you to you too. I have sent you an email. Regards Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2004 21:12

Thank you all for your help and interest in my search, I really do appreaciate it. I have now found Andrea's family in England. Regards Margaret

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Oct 2004 23:24

Margaret, I'm so pleased to see that you have had success. I was hoping when I first saw this thread that you would have a good outcome. Mandy :)