General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fireworks ....love or loathe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 28 Sep 2004 12:10

Do you want fireworks banned?..............do you just want them banned from shops but are glad to have proper displays ...................Or do you love fireworks at all cost, despite their dangers........................{myself Id prefer only to have proper organised displays....ban them from the shops }.........Elaine x

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 28 Sep 2004 12:12

Hi Elaine, i agree with you - organised displays are fine but I hate fireworks been sold in the shops. Worse still are the illegal ones that seem to be around every year. Theyve started already here and will go on for months now - most annoying when theyre going off at all hours of the night.

Lisa

Lisa Report 28 Sep 2004 12:15

the law should be changed on fireworks .i agree with displays only because i feel that the manufacturers would make more money selling to private companies.if this is not possible then the age should be raised to 18 rather than 16 as some of these 16 year olds are not very responsiblexxxxx(:

Hayley

Hayley Report 28 Sep 2004 12:18

The age limit is already at 18, its only the disreputable shops that sell them to whoever asks

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Sep 2004 12:26

I do tend to agree that it's the disreputable shops (and parents) that let kids get their hands on fireworks... kids will be kids sadly. I'm in two minds about this. I've always enjoyed fireworks... we have a great organised display here, people travel from all over to see it, and in some ways I think perhaps that should be enough. But another part of me harks back to my chldhood, where every year my Dad would buy a box of fireworks, and we'd all sit in the garden with a bonfire, sparklers etc, watching these somewhat pathetic little things fizzle away for a few seconds... they were rubbish but wonderful at the same time. It would be a shame if todays kids were deprived that. Saying that, at the moment I wish they were ALL banned... our dog is absolutely petrified of them, and i'm not looking forard to the new couple of months...

Lisa

Lisa Report 28 Sep 2004 12:28

don't like sparklers as when i was four i picked one up and burnt my hand .xxxx(:

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 28 Sep 2004 12:35

I do enjoy firework displays....but i also love having them at home, my birthday is in October, so what my family sometimes does for me as a get together is to have a firework display with mugs of soup in the garden, and its really lovely to have it. I think that fireworks should only be sold in certain shops, e.g. Woolworths, and i think that they should raise the legal age to buy them to 20-21. (even though i am 18!!!)

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 28 Sep 2004 12:35

Paul Remember catherine wheels?? Dad used to nail one onto the fence & it would go half way round & get stuck, sparks forming a blowtorch affect lol. Also those little ones, light them, ....wait with bated breath....... then POP!!!!..... a single coloured orb of fire would explode from the top about 2ft into the air......if you were lucky youd get one or two more..........than everyone would stare at the thing to see if it was finished or not. One year my dad built a guy, it was dark when I returned from school (bout 4;30pm at the time) the living room light was off with just the light from the kitchen. There was this stranger sitting in the darkness i was scared stiff until dad turned on the light lol Elaine x

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 28 Sep 2004 12:39

Ive always hated sparklers too, wont let my kids have them....after all....we encourage our kids not to play with fire or matches ! Elaine x

Joy

Joy Report 28 Sep 2004 13:00

I love watching them ie by Bournemouth pier ... but empathise with Paul's dog (ever since the noise of the airbag when I was crashed into last September). Joy

Jo

Jo Report 28 Sep 2004 13:49

5th November is my birthday, as a treat I always get took to a display, HMMMMMM SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!!!! Not much of a treat is it? Gonna drop some bigger hints this year.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Sep 2004 15:07

I love to watch them but hate the really loud bangers. I think that they should only be at organised displays, it was Ok when they were little bangers but some of those you can buy (if you want to waste £20 on one firework) are really dangerous in the wrong hands. It should be organised displays, no sale to general public and you should have to have a licence to buy them. (You need a lcence for a firearm and some of these are just as lethal. Shops can't be trusted not to sell them to the correct age and anyway it is hard for them to tell how old kids are these days, also older kids buy for the younger ones. I would also like, if they are not going to restrict sales, to see more kids fined for letting them off in the street, and after the prescribed time. But they wont be as nobody will catch them. Ann Glos

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 28 Sep 2004 16:46

We usually go down to the local display, but after that, they seem to go on for months, we had some loud ones last week. Apparently they are being sold on sunday markets etc.

VIVinHERTS

VIVinHERTS Report 28 Sep 2004 17:10

I am absolutely terrified of the noise they make. I don't go out in early November 'cause I'd mess myself! LOL I think that they are lovely to watch but I won't go out. I think that there should be organized displays only and only 'quiet' fireworks should be used. There should be a ban on the general public buying them. I hate ballons, party poppers and cap guns as well. :-( Viv

Jane

Jane Report 28 Sep 2004 18:05

Never been abig fan of them. I was always taken to proper displays and then took my own children to them. Usually the one organised by the local fire service. But here in Southport we now have the Firework Championships. Well nothing can beat them. Absolutely brilliant. So now Firework Night is in the shade. If anyone gets the chance to come it really is worth it. Jane

June

June Report 28 Sep 2004 18:26

Jane, When is the Firework Championships in Southport please? June xx

Fairy

Fairy Report 28 Sep 2004 18:43

I hate fireworks, not only do they get louder each year which frightens my cat and dog to death, but |I have to go out and buy expencive pills for both of them. I don't mind if it's a controlled display and we know when it's going to be on. But I think it's wrong for kids to buy them from the corner shops. We'll have them going off round here soon enough right up until Christmas. Jo.