General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

jobs lost at p&o

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 29 Sep 2004 12:10

anyone been to france and sailed from portsmouth.then you will not be able to do it anymore soon.they are closing their p&o crossings from portsmouth to france and thousands of jobs are going to be lost.the only way you could get to france once this comes into force would be the channel tunnel or doverxxxx(:

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Sep 2004 12:17

Gosh. Is that right Lisa? What about Brittany Ferries? Do they/ will they still sail from Portsmouth. That will be the end of an era. My childhood home was on the slopes of Portsdown Hill and we have always loved to watch the ferries sailing in and out of port.

Lisa

Lisa Report 29 Sep 2004 12:20

i don't know about brittany ferries.the main sailing crossing are done by p&o though .so i cannot see that brittany ferries will survive too long down here if they will still carry on sailing to france unless that will give them more revenue if they will still sail people out of portsmouth.watch this space.will see what happens and keep you postedxxxxx(:

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Sep 2004 12:28

I live not far from the Channel Tunnel. That's going to make our roads and motorways even worse. If there is a dispute at the French ports or ferry cancellations due to bad weather we have Operation Stack and it takes ages to travel a short distance on M20, because of all the lorries parked up. That's nothing to the trauma of losing your job though.

Lisa

Lisa Report 29 Sep 2004 12:31

gwyn i feel sorry for those workers.they reckon that over a million people travel with p&o every year.the reason they are doing it is loss of money but how much would they make from the passengers.i think if brittany are still going to sail from portsmouth they can use it to their advantage.as for the tunnel i know it gets busy after going to disneyland paris christmas 1999.so i really do sympathise with you and all residence who live and travel in that area.xxx(:

BrianW

BrianW Report 29 Sep 2004 16:19

P & O are competing against: The tunnel, built as a political project and which has billions of outstanding debt that no-one knows how they will repay, it'll probably eventually be written off by the taxpayer. Brittany ferries, subsidised by the French government. Budget airlines, running on duty free fuel, not only to France but Spain, Italy, Greece etc.. HM Customs have come down so hard on duty free booze that it's hardly worth going. The French government have hiked tax on fags, so it's hardly worth going. Form your own conclusions, but they're onto a loser.

Lisa

Lisa Report 29 Sep 2004 16:22

didn't stand a chance then brian.XXXX):