General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I know this has been here before, BUT..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Sep 2004 17:32

Subject: who is disylexic????????? The Amazing Human Mind I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt !.!.!

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Sep 2004 17:49

It's incredible Bob! But very annoying because I'm a secretary and am itching to rearrange the letters lol

Wendy

Wendy Report 29 Sep 2004 19:00

My eldest daughter, Caroline, is dyslexic. She was label stupid at school, particularly in her 'A' level years and had a lot of problems, which we had put down, at best her reaction to younger siblings health problems and at worst drugs. Everything became very clear when she reached university and spoke with the student counsellor, who subjected she maybe be dyslexic. Had an assessment, was diagnosed and systems where put in place. She's not looked back and has successfully completed her first year at university and has changed from diploma to degree course for her second year. She had the opportunity to go back to school last November for speech day and let those teachers know that had marked her down as stupid that there was a reasonable why she struggled. I wished I'd had a camera to see their jaws drop. She's now received the help/assistance she deserves and is determined to get that 2:1, if not a first. Just because they don't read everything correctly and can't spell for toffee, doesn't mean these people should be written off. Wendy

Sue from Wakefield

Sue from Wakefield Report 29 Sep 2004 19:30

Bob Bldooy Hlel, I undsteorod taht perecflty Sue xx

Keith

Keith Report 29 Sep 2004 20:48

Idened amzanig!!

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 29 Sep 2004 21:10

tHAT'S FANTASTIC, bOB, Absolutely no ploberm. But if you junk the spelling it gets really hard. Ever read Feersum Enjin by Iain Banks? First fifty pages of phonetic spelling are like wading through treacle, then suddenly I can cope. Brenda

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Sep 2004 21:12

While we're on this subject, does anyone remember the name of a reading scheme where everything was spelt phonetically? It would have been around when I was starting primary school (oo eck, 35 years ago!); there were several primary schools in the area, and my parents wouldn't send me to the one that used this method. We've been wracking our brains for ages to try and remember what it was called!

Christine

Christine Report 29 Sep 2004 21:25

Yuo would have great trouble getting that lot through your 'spellchecker' though!!!!

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 29 Sep 2004 21:31

Hi Mandy I think the scheme you mean was called I.T My children learnt it at their school although they could read well. it took them ages to learn to spell properly after being taught by this method Bren

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Sep 2004 07:30

Mandy Yes it was the Initial Teaching Alphabet system. It was around in the late 60s and was the 'In' thing. I dread to think how many pounds were spent on books in our primary schools, only to be dumped when it went out of fashion. I well remember visiting a reception class c. 1968 and being asked to read a story to the children. It was a real struggle, especially words with double 'O' in the middle as they were written with a sort of curved W with a loop in the middle. I'm glad it went.