General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sad times..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 30 Sep 2004 09:14

Have just been reading about an Investigation by I.T.V., into care homes. The charity Action On Elder Abuse, are looking into it. It is very sad reading as to what goes on in some of these places.

Lynn

Lynn Report 30 Sep 2004 09:28

Oh Christine yes it is very very sad what goes on, but sadly when its behind closed doors it can very ofted go on undetected. It makes you stop and wonder what the world is coming to when people do these horrid things to elderly folk. Lets hope that at least some are found out and are given a very heavy punishment..........I cant write on here what I would do to them if it was one of my family who were treated in such a way Lynn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Sep 2004 09:42

Sadly this is about abuse of trust and this can happen to the elderly in their own homes. My widowed aunt was befriended by someone who gradually became more and more involved with my aunt's finances ( my aunt lived over a hundred miles from her nearest relatives)until just before my aunt died aged 97 last January. I can't comment fully as we are probably going to court soon to try and resolve the whole situation. I am not saying for one minute that there was physical abuse but just that abuse can take many forms.

Lisa

Lisa Report 30 Sep 2004 10:21

christine it saddens me when i read this as these people have been through alot through theirlives and should have a good life whats left of it.some even die due to poor hygeine standards and neglect.i really feel for them and just hope that these reports highlight problems and improves themxxxxxx):

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 30 Sep 2004 13:20

Its terrible what goes on in some homes.my great uncle was in a home for about 10 yrs and when we used to visit him he would sometimes complain to us about things but whenever you spoke to the matron she said he was being difficult,which he could be,then 2yrs ago he was taken into hospital and there they found he had cancer.he was in hospital from july 02 until he died in nov 02 and he was a changed man,all the nurses wopuld come over to us and say how lovely he was.on the night he died we went up to se him and got talking to an auxillary nurse who said she had known uncle ted from the home and she said how awful they were to him somtimes. i suppose what i'm trying to say is always take notice of what someone is telling you even if you know that they can be difficult,you never know what is going on.we're just glad that the last few months of our uncles life were happy ones, Karen

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Sep 2004 13:56

Karen, That is so sad but at least his final days were away from the place. Yes we should listen and not be afraid to stand up to 'authority' in defence of those less able to. Unfortunately we weren't alerted in time to resolve the situation before my aunt died, virtually penniless and bungalow gone.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Sep 2004 14:07

Maz, That's a lovely way of putting it. You should be very proud of him.

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 30 Sep 2004 14:09

you should be proud Maz,like your son said we're going into their home.what we all should remember that it could be us years down the line,treat people how you would like to be treated, Karen

Sandra

Sandra Report 30 Sep 2004 19:55

hi christine i worked in elderly nursing homes, private and council run, and in learning difficulties units,and lockup units and i reported abuse 8 times, to the relevant authorities, even when i only did agency work and i never hesitated even though i got a lot of grief from workmates. I stand by what i did for the sake of the dignity and self respect of the clients i worked with, and i would do it again!!! sandra

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 30 Sep 2004 19:58

Seems perhaps there are not enough people around like you, Sandra, it's so sad to read these stories, it should never be happening.

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 30 Sep 2004 20:16

Sandra's great and so is Maz's son .The elderly have already given to this country through two world wars and through the contributions they made to the welfare State. Without them there would be no unemployment benefit,there would be workhouses, there would be no maternity allowances or pensions,or healthservice etc. We who have enjoyed the welfare state for all of our lives cannot imagine a country without all of these advantages,but it is in living memory that there was no safety net for the unfortunate or the sick. It was the workhouse. The reality of which hung over my grandmother,I can remember her saying if times were hard 'We will all end up in the workhouse'A bit like Senna from up Pompeii. After lives of contribution they should be permitted dignity in their latter years. As a nation we have a dreadful attitude to them Rose