General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family history and mediums

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Estelle

Estelle Report 30 Sep 2004 13:21

I was a watching a prgramme about mediums last night and it got me thinking about family history. How easy would it be if you got in touch with your old relatives via a medium and got loads of info? Has this happened to anyone? Could be cheaper than going to the PRO!? LOL. Estelle

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Sep 2004 13:27

the dead rellies have a way of showing you :-)

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 30 Sep 2004 14:25

mmmmmm I was told I had rellies in Wales I SAID .....no way SHE SAID ......... you have I SAID....... never had never will SHE SAID...... you Will find out soon Within a few weeks out of the blue I found a new cousin........ Yeah a whole branch of the family.....living in WALES !!! Elaine x

Zoe

Zoe Report 30 Sep 2004 14:57

I'd love to use one to clear up a family mystery that NONE of the branches of my family name have been able to answer. In 1935 a roadsweeper in the family died, having already been widowed 30 years before and left childless. WHen they went into his rooms they found over 10 grand hidden and later after a full clear out they also discovered a locked safe. I'd love to know how on a roadsweepers wages he managed to save that amount of money. Also I'd love to know who the "my nephew John" is in the will they found as I cant find a nephew by that name and I'm suspicious how an illiterate man managed to handwrite his will. Obviously I'm mostly interested in case the money is sat somwhere accruing interest and I might stand a chance with a claim Z xx

Sandra

Sandra Report 30 Sep 2004 15:19

well, i hope my dead rellies will help me tomorrow as i'm going to look in the parish records. lol sandra

Fairy

Fairy Report 30 Sep 2004 15:30

It's strange but I have spent hours and hours and hours trying to find my grandfather, I've sent for birth and marriage certificates but of no avail. All the time I'm looking at the computer I can feel my grandmother saying to me, "You are not meant to know and you never will". The feeling is very strong and I almost feel now it's a battle of wills. Jo.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Sep 2004 15:34

Zoe - maybe he went to the bookies a lot - I know of someone doing that - and they made a fortune - but lost a fortune too!

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Sep 2004 16:54

Hi Estelle, Yes it happened to me, but I didn't know it at the time !! I went to a medium in July last year. Was in touch with several close rellies ... and some information was relayed that I couldn't understand at the time ! A year later ... I can confirm that every single piece of information that was given to me has since been confirmed during my research into the FT and through living family members There were two pieces of information given to me, that just could not be connected with. ... one was of twin boys in the family (that certainly didn't make sense as all the twins in the family are boy/girl or girls. The other was the name Rachael. Last week I had a major break through on my tree, I found the age at death of my oldest ancestor .. he was 42, so he was born in 1786 along with ..... his twin brother. The Rachael hasn't come to light YET but I have NO DOUBT that she will ! I was even told to look for a connection to Coal Miners .... check out the 1881 census, my ancestors were on COAL PITT LANE !!! The list is endless ... even down to a 2 year old child .... I found that one as well ! I can't wait to go back to the Medium and tell my much loved family 'Thanks for the help' ! Elaine :-)

Estelle

Estelle Report 30 Sep 2004 17:36

Wow, this is fascinating. Elaine - who is the medium you saw? Last night there was a woman on from N.Ireland and she was blind. She was really good. I guess you just have to be able to take the info in and relate it to your own family. I know that some would say that this is all a coincidence but i do think there was some truth in it. My GGrandfather was born in Poland, moved to the UK got married and had my grandma. Then he left her with guardians and moved to the US. I am unable to find out any more about him, so would love this, along with many other fam hist questions answered. Estelle

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 30 Sep 2004 18:19

Estelle - I watched that too- however I thought the blind girl was rubbish - she was 'pumping'. However the Scot - Gordon Smith I think was his name - works fulltime as a barber and works from a spiritulist church was a different kettle of fish - he even gave the full name - two christan names and surname and I have never known that before.

Jo

Jo Report 30 Sep 2004 18:24

We had a medium come to the house a couple of years age. There was eight of us and she went round the table in turns giving each person a reading. It was fantastic, the sceptics are now believers. We are having another one with a different medium (the chap that helped out in the Holly and Jessica case) in a few weeks time. I'll keep you posted.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 30 Sep 2004 20:35

I have to say I am very sceptical about mediums, particularly the two on TV last night. I could have come up with most of the info they came up with. I was once taken to see Doris Stokes, a famous medium, cant remember where it was but there must have been 2000 people in the audience. I lost interest when she said "I have a little girl here, her name is Tracy, shes got blonde hair in bunches, Im getting the name John..." What rubbish, how cruel. And can anyone tell me, if our ancestors really DO "come through", why is it never anything important they have to tell us, such as the secret of the universe, or how to achieve world peace, or what my late Dad did with the Garage keys?.

Daniel

Daniel Report 30 Sep 2004 20:57

Why would dying suddenly give you infinite wisdom and knowledge? People are still the same when they die (minus a pulse), we don't become super intelligent. If we did then obviiosly there wouldn't be any trouble in the world

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Sep 2004 21:02

Bridget - that was Steve Holbrook - I have met him and been at one of his evenings - hes interesting - but was more interesting afterwards when he was signing a book for me - he looked up and said - oh your mother said you knew what she was going to tell you anyway - 2 days before this I had been given the details of HER mothers death - and they had arrived on my grans birthday - A few months ago I went to a spiritualist church - and was overwhelmed by the messages from my mothers side of the family - none of whom I had known about until starting the tree after my mother had passed.

Bad_Wolf

Bad_Wolf Report 30 Sep 2004 23:51

Check out the Life after Death thread for more chat about mediums. I, too, was not impressed with the blind lass, though the Scot, and the blond bloke were harder to pin down. I like to think that I have a healthy scepticism about mediums; I feel that most are fishing (subconciously or otherwise), but there could be true "talkers to the dead." I also think that I have a sensitivity to the paranormal as I have had several strange experiences, though would never claim mediumship, and have never (knowingly) seen a ghost. Rob