General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Roast!..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Oct 2004 13:30

Are we all still traditionalists for our Sunday roast?, or do we not bother so much these days. A survey has revealed that people tend to have a roast dinner now mid week!.. good old roast!..

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 3 Oct 2004 13:37

mmmmmmmm roast We dont have a set sunday roast day anymore. We found ourselves getting fed up with it. Were having roast chicken today & im really looking forward to it, as its been a bit longer than a month since weve last had it. E x

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Oct 2004 13:53

I love a roast, but I think its not the same with just me and the boys. I remember huge family gatherings with various uncles when I was a child, and listening to "Round the Horne" while we ate. These days Sundays are taken up with rugby training/playing in the mornings and often we go to watch another match in the afternoon, so it's impossible. I was just talking about this this morning with another rugby parent and saying that no matter how many roast spuds you do there's never enough! [and mine never taste as good as my Mum's. Whenever I visit she always does roast lamb and onion sauce. Mmmmm!] nell

Julie

Julie Report 3 Oct 2004 14:06

My lamb is cooked the potatoes are in the oven and we have greens,cauliflower and beans which we grew in the garden

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Oct 2004 14:07

Sounds lovely Julie, I'm on my way round, fresh mint sauce I hope?!..

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Oct 2004 14:08

Sounds lovely Julie, I'm on my way round, fresh mint sauce I hope?!..

Julie

Julie Report 3 Oct 2004 14:25

Sorry Christine i haven't got enough to go round its all mine Lol

Shazza

Shazza Report 3 Oct 2004 17:36

UM i love my Sunday Roasts We dont always have them when we are at home! We go to Pauls Mums for dinner she cooks a lovely roast they have a roast dinner every Sunday without fail. We went to Ikea today so our Sunday dinner was Meatballs!!! MY favorite roast dinners are Lamb and Chicken. Sharon.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Oct 2004 17:37

When we have the family here we do have roast, and when we visit them, although eldest grandson is veggie so has a quiche or something with his roast potatoes and veg. On our own we rarely have roast on Sundays, if we do it would be more likely to be chicken as for two you can't really get a large enough piece of meat. (I mean larger pieces of meat seem to have more flavour somehow) So tonight we have a small piece of gammon ith cauli and charlotte potatoes and probably parsley sauce. Ann Glos

N

N Report 3 Oct 2004 20:13

every sunday we have a traditional sunday dinner, also every wednesday we have a cooked meal, close to the sunday dinner with out all the trimings. we make sure the meat is different each week, so that it does not become boring etc, so lamb,beef,chichen,pork, etc. love it. :-)

John

John Report 3 Oct 2004 20:14

What is the secret of perfect Roast potatoes? I know how I like them, but how do you cook yours?

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Oct 2004 20:17

Nice and crispy round the edges!..

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey Report 3 Oct 2004 20:49

John the secret too perfect roast pot is 1 a gas oven 2 cook in lard 3 par boil 1st 4 let me cook em for u where I work we have roast dinner on menu every day for societies where i work unless people coming in wont something else

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 3 Oct 2004 20:54

Just had roast pork tonight, with potatoes, parsnips and carrots all roasted (no par boiling) and also steamed broccoli. Loads of gravy and some Colemans English mustard. Roasts done in lard for about 40 mins 160 in a fan oven.

Julie

Julie Report 3 Oct 2004 21:22

i cook my potatoes in the meat juice

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 3 Oct 2004 21:26

Yes we still have a roast every Sunday. For the perfect roast potatoes use King Edward spuds. Cut into even sized pieces (not too small) and boil for about 5 minutes or until the outside of the potato is SLIGHTLY soft (test with a fork). Do not overcook them - five minutes should be plenty. Meanwhile, heat some sunflower oil in a roasting tin in the oven. Drain the potatoes then put them back in the saucepan, put the lid on and shake the pan hard. This will roughen up the outside of the spuds. Put the spuds in the hot oil and sprinkle with a little salt (to help crisp up the roughened edges) and put them in the oven at at least 200C for about an hour. Shake the pan from time to time to prevent sticking. Voila! Perfect crispy roast potatoes. Dee x

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 3 Oct 2004 22:27

We have a roast just about every Sunday, never in the week unless we have guests from overseas as I like to give them a traditional British meal! Always boil my spuds 'properly' as if we were going to eat them just boiled, then roast them in sunflower oil. They will be soft inside and crispy outside. Sorry but I don't use lard and I have an electric fan oven and they are still FAB!!! Always cook my meat raised out of the tin on a rack with water in the bottom, which keeps it moist, and covered in foil, with an onion for flavour. mmmmmmmm! Don't have home made every week though as hubby is on low carb and I am on low fat, so me and the kids have frozen WeightWatchers roasties - which I have to say are the best frozen ones (I've tried 'em all!) - and I'm not scared to admit it! Maz. XX

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 4 Oct 2004 16:49

we alway's have sunday roast love them