General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

At last ........ A LIVING RELATIVE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 3 Oct 2004 22:24

Some time ago I left a note on WWW(.)curiousfox(.com) listing 3 surnames I was stuck on. In fact it was so long ago I had forgotten about it. 2 days ago I got an email from a lady in America who had seen my not and who shares the same great great great grandfather as my wife. I am not sure what relation that makes my wife and this lady, but everyone is hugely excited. You just never know where the next bit of info is going to come from. :-)))))))))))))))))))))) Gerry

Gerry

Gerry Report 3 Oct 2004 22:31

Thanks Dee Perhaps, when U've got time, you could explain how works out the "number" of cousins and the number of removals. Never understood it myself Gerry

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Oct 2004 22:35

Hi Gerry - really exciting isn't it? There is a really good relationship diagram on the following link (don't forget to remove the brackets first): http://members(.)tripod(.)com/Phil_N_S/Rc.htm Mandy :)

Sue

Sue Report 3 Oct 2004 22:38

Gerry I think it makes your wife and this lady 4th cousins. The relative they share has the same relationship to both of them, i.e GGG Grandfather, so they are of the same generation and direct cousins. This lady's children would be 4th cousins once removed to your wife because they are a generation apart from her. In the same way, the lady's grandchildren would be 4th cousins twice removed to your wife, because they are two generations apart. I hope I have explained that clearly and that it helps. Sue

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Oct 2004 22:40

Sue, yes that's what I made it as well from the diagram - 4th cousins. I think Gerry's mother in law would be the 3rd cousin once removed to the American lady. Mandy :)

Gerry

Gerry Report 3 Oct 2004 22:53

Thanks all of you. Sue, great explanation - it must have been .... even I understood it :-)) Gerry