General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Calling all chemistry students,Spider deterrent he

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 4 Oct 2004 09:03

Last week on radio 4 they where talking about using Horse chestnuts as a spider deterrent because they contain a chemical detergent that spiders don't like. Does anyone know how to extract this so it can be made into a liquid. Do you use the spikey outer or the conker? Would it need to be seeped in cold water or could it be boiled out?

Mags

Mags Report 4 Oct 2004 09:41

Hi Janet - you can get spider deterrent spray containing chestnut extract from Betterware - those little catalogues that plop through your door every now and again - is there an agent in your area? Magsx

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 4 Oct 2004 19:22

Must get some of this!.

Bob

Bob Report 4 Oct 2004 20:10

Betterware have a website at: http://www.betterware.*co.uk/

Jubal

Jubal Report 4 Oct 2004 20:14

When my 64 year old Aunt asked me to get her some conkers I thought, bless, she has finally cracked. But apparently she said it works! She puts a conker in the corner of each room and swears it keeps spiders away! Julie

Keith

Keith Report 4 Oct 2004 23:58

What's wrong with spiders anyway? My old granny used to have a saying "if you wish to live and thrive, let the spiders run alive"... I guess it was something to do with old country people who realised that spiders actually do a lot of good by eating flies, which carry and spread disease, while spiders are actually harmless! If I have a spider in the house where I don't want one, I just gently pick it up and put it (alive) into the garden. And I brought my children up (and now encourage my grandson also) to treat these fascinating living creatures with respect and never to deliberately hurt one.

Buggy21

Buggy21 Report 5 Oct 2004 01:01

This year, espically the Summer (well if it can be called that), we seem to have had more spidars than ever. In the first week of coming home off of holiday we see about 10 in our house and 2 of them weren't little fellows either. As anybody else noticed an increase in them this year? Angie......

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Oct 2004 07:17

Valerie You have written exactly as I would have done! My now adult daughters still don't like them though and will just upturn a plastic cup over the spider then get me to deal with it. Grandson has collected conkers this week, so will have to see if they have an effect.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 5 Oct 2004 17:38

Thanks for the replies. The problem is not mine but my mothers. She has always had a bit of a phobia about spiders but last year she was awoken by one falling on her face. Ever since she has been far worse. It has now got to the point where the phobia is seriously affecting her life. Short of packing her off for therapy I thought a home brew deterrent might help. She did get one of the betterware ones but the way she uses it she'll end up bankrupting the family! I have to admit I don't like spiders either but I can cope with them if I have to. Give me little fluffy mice and rats any day!