General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it illegal to burn Commercial rubbish??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jubal

Jubal Report 4 Oct 2004 20:12

I live in Southsea and my garden backs onto a yard owned by a shop (the shop owners live above the shop). They own the land, and we have permanent right of way over the land. At least twice a week the owners burn cardboard boxes, ply pallets etc in a brazier. My house consequently fills with the smell of smoke, it is horrible and gives me a sore throat, makes the house stink etc. I am pretty sure it is illegal to burn commercial waste and have told them as much. I want to do this amicably, but just in case, they don't listen - ANY ADVICE?? Julie

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 4 Oct 2004 20:14

contact ur local enviromental health office bout it

Jubal

Jubal Report 4 Oct 2004 20:19

Yes, I have emailed them already. But wanted to see if anyone knew on here. Thanks anyway. Julie

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 4 Oct 2004 20:24

hope u get it sorted out thats wat we did wen a local factory started burning stuff

Jubal

Jubal Report 4 Oct 2004 21:08

Thanks Linda!! Julie

Jubal

Jubal Report 4 Oct 2004 21:49

OK Linda, I'll check in again tomorrow. Nighty night. Julie

badger

badger Report 4 Oct 2004 21:53

It is against the law to burn industrial rubbish that produces smell or smoke to the detriment of someones health ,or comfort in a residential area.This even includes garden rubbish and waste materials,such as any sort of greenery i/e cabbage leaves old flowers ect.Exert taken from the clean air act pinned on our allotment gates.Fred.ptfg.

Jubal

Jubal Report 4 Oct 2004 21:59

Many thanks to all of you who replied. I don't think I am being unreasonable, so hopefully they'll be nice about it. Thanks again. Julie