General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Interspecies Transmogrification

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Oct 2004 21:13

Our kitten, Dooley, thinks he's a Parrot. yesterday I was washing up and he came into the kitchen and climbed up the back of my legs, up my back and settled on my shoulder. He sat there for at least 10 minutes. He has done that to two other people so far. Any more confused cats, dysfunctional dogs or other weird pets out there?

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Oct 2004 21:32

Only my hubby - would he come under the category of weird pets? I do shut him in the shed from time to time ...... LOL of course!

Christine2

Christine2 Report 5 Oct 2004 21:38

Some years ago we had a cat who we had to take to the vet one day. When the vet tried to give him an injection he ran up the vets back and clung on for dear life round the back of his neck. It took me ages to get him off and needless to say the vet wasn't amused LOL Chrissie

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 5 Oct 2004 21:47

Love that title Grampa Jim!.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 5 Oct 2004 21:48

Jim, your cat is not a feline, its a "familiar". In bygone days witches had "familiars" (that is to say cats who were the spawn of the devil, and who would cling to their human friends) The familiars would perch on their shoulders, and that was a sign of witchcraft (at least to Cromwell and his blokes). Does it mean you are a Warlock (is that a male witch??) lol I too had a "familiar" a very small black and white cat called Sunshine, who was far too young to have left her mommy when I got her, and who identified with me as her "feline mom". She too would climb up me and perch on my shoulders - I could be peeling the pots. at the sink and she would be sat on my shoulder (mind you that was in the days of the Sue Ellen shoulder pads - lol) Lovely little kitten she was, and the "sunshine" of my life. She lived to be 19 and was the "sunshine of my life". Miss her to this day - have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel now - gorgeous but as daft as a brush - not nearly an intelligent as Sunshine. Jacqui

David

David Report 5 Oct 2004 21:54

My GSD plays like a cat chases his toys round bashing then with his feet, i have to keep an eye open or else i'm likely to get knocked flying he's 12 years old and a big softy like me!!!

Sue

Sue Report 5 Oct 2004 21:56

My oldest cat, Misty age 13, also thinks he's a parrot! Since he was a kitten he would launch himself onto an unsuspecting person's shoulder and sit there purring in their ear! He still tries to do it now, but his legs are not what they were (know the feeling!) and he usually ends up at waist height! He never digs his claws in and quite happily sits on your shoulder for ages. He was caught a glancing blow by a car when he was 8 months old and it deranged him slightly! Since then his favourite position is on my shoulder. He even used to walk to work with me (about half a mile) and sit outside for 5 hours until I went home again when he would jump on my shoulder and enjoy the ride! Sue

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Oct 2004 22:09

Our Dog, Tessa, now sadly recently departed was convinced that she was a " Hoover" any thing edible that fell on the floor was swiftly "oovered" up, as soon as the fridge door was open, she was between the legs, looking for likely objects to "put away"..........miss her, deeply....... bob, and jean

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 5 Oct 2004 23:53

Had a totally insane Springer Spaniel who was convinced she was a human. She would sit on the sofa next to me, leaning against the back, one elbow on the arm (just like me in fact). She was the naughtiest, most horrible dog you could ever meet - so why did I cry for a month when she died?

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 6 Oct 2004 06:53

Morning Everyone, Just home after dropping my husband off at the station. A long day stretches ahead.But to answer the thread, Yes when my father-in law was coming up for his 70 birthday his wife bought him an egg,not just any old egg,but sulpher crest parrot. He incubated the egg and it duly hatched and you've guessed it,bonded. The bird is hysterically funny and it rules the household. I am certain it has a well developed sense of humour as it actually sits there and cackles with laughter It is such a superb mimic that it takes in everyone. It calls my moher-in-law in from the garden in his voice, and sits back and watches the arguement ,which it then repeats word for word.Till they both shout Shut up Nelson.it commands the dogs and they come rushing in expectantly and sit in front of its cage awaiting tit bits, It yells at the cat and creates all round confusion in what was an ordered household. But the funniest thing is its hymn singing. We don't know how it learnt this but it sings Onward Christian Soldiers at the top of its voice and All thing bright and beautiful a few nursery rhymes but its favourite of these is Twinkle,Twinkle Little Star,I love it as it is truelly anarchic. After my own heart. Rose

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Oct 2004 08:05

We had a rabbit, Smudge which ran freely in our enclosed garden.Whenever I took washing outside to hang on the line, he would run up and stretch up against my leg as cats sometimes do. It was part of the ritual that I then had to pick him up, greet him, quick cuddle then he would be happy to get down and roam again. Our garden backs onto that of a keen gardener and there were several times that he would call over the fence saying "Your rabbit's here again". There were no burrows or gaps under the fence so we had no idea how Smudge was getting there until one day the neighbour glanced up from diggiing and noticed Smudge sitting on top of the fence watching him.How he climbed up there we do not know.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 10:05

Linda, No Dooley is the real kitten. Mucus is the imaginary one. Also Dooley likes Tea n Toast in the morning. He has his own (egg) cup. It is very hard to keep up the pretence of not being a cat person when he's around. Jim

Lisa

Lisa Report 6 Oct 2004 10:13

my cat when being ignored will sit in the hall and miow my daughters name.no lie her name is lauren and he miows itxxxxxxxx(:

Mags

Mags Report 6 Oct 2004 11:52

Our first cat, Sophie, thought she was a dog - we would throw ping pong sized balls the length of the living room and she would fetch them back and lay them at your feet ready to be thrown again. She preferred the orange balls to the white ones - do cats see colour? Magsx

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 6 Oct 2004 12:04

jordan always feels like a cockatoo apparently!!

Lisa

Lisa Report 6 Oct 2004 13:25

AWWWWWWW THAT'S SO CUTE. MY LITTLE KITTENS USED TO RUN UP MY LEGS, BUT NOT QUITE TO MY SHOULDERS. LISA

Clare

Clare Report 6 Oct 2004 13:39

My 12 month old Boxer dog has taken up catching mice to fit in with the cat population. He will also try to sit on the shoulder of anyone foolish enough to sit on the sofa!

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2004 18:45

AAAaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh! The other day I had had my bath and came out of the bathroom with a bath sheet wrapped round my lower portions. I went into the kitchen to organize a hot drink when I felt a tugging at the back of the towel..... and then when he got to the top of the towel he carried on trying to climb up my bare back. I currently have a back which looks like a map of the London Transport Underground System. Dooley is still pleading innocence. The Jury is out. Jim

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 14 Oct 2004 19:10

My eldest cat is a neutered male - he thinks he is an Alley Cat and wails like an old tom. My second thinks she is a dog and always walks to heel with me if I am wandering around outside. My newest two who are about 4 months old think they are: a) TV boffins - sit in front of it avidly watching b) a pair of Greyhounds - tearing about the place endlessly c) Babies - they sleep in my arms on their backs d) Scarfs - they also sleep tucked up under my chin lol e) Yep - PARROTS!!