General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LOSING THE PAST

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 6 Oct 2004 21:37

Just heard this programme and wished I'd listened to the lot. A quote from the website:"In Part One of Losing the Past, Richard Hollingham investigates specific examples of what is now unplayable or unreadable. For example, he can reveal for the first time, that the UK population census data from 1951 are lost, as are significant parts of the 1961 and 1971 census data." I knew that 1961 was in trouble, but not that 1951 was too.

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 21:54

That would really worry me, except that I think I shall be lucky if I get my paws on 1911!

John

John Report 6 Oct 2004 22:14

What station was that on Brenda?

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 6 Oct 2004 22:18

Radio 4. I was only listening with half an ear, but it sounded as if chunks of 1911 and 1921 hadn't survived either. I know that this is academic for most of us, but God help anyone doing family history in the future, what with this and the proposed changes to civil registration. Brenda

John

John Report 6 Oct 2004 22:21

Thanks Brenda. It's on next week then?

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Oct 2004 22:22

What's happened to the information then? Fire, flood, or incompetent enumerators?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 6 Oct 2004 22:22

I was also half listening in the bath. I think they were refering to the statistic side of it (i.e. 1500 households were headed by monks) rather than the written returns. You can listen again from the radio 4 website. Hope this puts minds at rest.

John

John Report 6 Oct 2004 22:25

Good idea Janet. Here's the addy to do just that: http://www.bbc.*co.uk/radio4/history/losing_the_past.shtml