General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Snooker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 8 Oct 2004 18:37

Is there anybody else out there who is 'hooked' on snooker? I do wish it didn't start so late in the evening though. You see we are an hour ahead of you and if it begins in England at 12.00 then it begins by us at 1.00 a.m. What do you think about Ronnie O'Sullivans new hairdo? There are so many new faces on the scene this year, but Steve Davis is still there. Love, Sylvia xxx

Daniel

Daniel Report 8 Oct 2004 19:07

snooker's much better than fishing. Darts is boring and so is golf. But snooker, there's a tactical game where you need great skills of prediction.

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Oct 2004 20:22

Snookers my third favourite televised sport behind Football and Tennis. It's also perhaps the only sport that I was ever any good at - used to play snooker regularly, and competitively, buts sadly haven't for some time. Daniels quite correct - there is a large ecerbral aspect to the game as well as pure skill, unlike many sports - tactics plays heavily.

syljo

syljo Report 9 Oct 2004 14:10

Would like to see some women in top snooker too. Sylvia xxx

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 9 Oct 2004 21:37

Had to say something on this thread. My Dad has played in the same league for 45+ years and until last year had only missed one match. My sister and I grew up watching snooker, and have met many players. I have many autographs, including Joe Davies, Ray Readon, Steve Davies - and may more. As to women players, my Dad discovered Karen Corr, (a womens world champion), she now lives in the USA and plays American Pool - and gets a lot more money than on the snooker circuit. My hubby is friends with her brother and she always visit's dad when she is in England. A month ago I spent Saturday afternoon at my Dad's with Willie Thorne - he wanted to warm up prior to doing a demonstration. I tell people I don't like sport - but I always watch snooker. For me watching a player like Ronnie Sullivan play with such ease is mind blowing ( I have trouble potting a ball let alone putting the cue ball where I'll need it next)

BobClayton

BobClayton Report 9 Oct 2004 21:51

I love the game, been watching it for years. Went to to see Alex Higgiins years ago and was amazed. Ronnie is fantastic but I don't think he can ever have the impact that Alex did, he was the Mohamed Ali of snooker and made it what it is today Bob.

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 10 Oct 2004 16:58

Hi Robert, I agree Alex Higgins was a gifted individual, a pity he didn't realise it insead of wasting his talents, and being a rather unpleasant individual. My dad was asked to referee at a demonstration, at a private house, Alex was the proffessional showing of his skills. My Dad is very old fashioned and proper, I have lost count the number of times he has requested that men apologise to me and other women should they use bad language in fromt of us. Alex almost lost to one of the players chosen to play him, he got nasty and threatening - Dad took him aside, reminded him that he was being payed a non to small amount of money to be there, and that there were ladies present. Alex would not apologise but did continue, although with little grace. My dad often sings his praises as a player, he had a natural ability, but as a person!!! Ali is a showman, and a gentleman, Higgins is a showoff and rude. I have is autograph though!! Rebecca

syljo

syljo Report 10 Oct 2004 23:32

Rebecca, did you watch Ronnie tonight? I loved it inbetween when he did a little dance. I found that so amusing. I think players such as Steve Davies, Willie Thorne etc. are gentlemen. I don't like to see all the coloured outfits some of them wear either, started off by Peter Ebdon. Give me the old fashioned black and white! Perhaps they get too much prize money these days, like footballers, it goes to their heads. The footballer Georgie Best ruined his life too because he couldn't handle drink. If he didn't have to much money then he couldn't drink so much. Maradonna was another one. Must go now, Sylvia xxx

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 11 Oct 2004 07:44

I agree, talented players like ronnie are few and far between, left and right handed etc. Money does have a bad affect on some players. Drink, drugs, gambling and women. We all know men can only concentrate on one thing at once!!!! Now I'm in trouble!!!! Rebecca

syljo

syljo Report 11 Oct 2004 15:59

Rebecca, Wait for replies Sylvia xxx

Tykerose

Tykerose Report 11 Oct 2004 17:21

Hi Sylvia One of the reasons for all the different coloured waistcoats etc is the sponsors.The Tartan backed ones are sponsored by Highland Spring , the front of those are usually Green but if two players from the same sponsor are playing each other the highest ranked wears green and the other wears mustard. The UK snooker championship is on BBC TV from Nov 20th the final is on 28th .I have worked the Uk snooker for the last 3 years so have met all of the players involved in that as I work in the players lounge all 3 males in the family have signed snooker cues. we have had a ladies snooker final also. We also have Mikala the lady referee doing matches here. Not long now till I have two weeks work Jan

syljo

syljo Report 12 Oct 2004 16:07

Jan in York, Thank you for explaining the reason for different coloured waistcoats. Why didn't they use to use this method though? I really thought Peter Ebdon was the one who introduced it. He had a very coloured one once. Sylvia xxx