General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HEARTBROKEN !!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

T J

T J Report 9 Oct 2004 18:54

In May I bought a 10 week old border collie pup (Dog) and named him Skip - Today I have had to rehome him and I feel like a part of me has died - He has gone to a small holding and will be trained as a sheep dog. He will have a better life. I guess you are wondering why - Skip had been abused before I got him and I thought that with a lot of patience and nurturing we could bring him round. It did and it didn't - he was not what I would call a people dog - If you had been out and came back in he never came to greet you. My mum had the puppy for me whilst I worked every day and at weekends he was home with hubby so he was never home alone - mum had two dogs with which Skip played and he got up to the normal puppy mischief which was tolerable. I decided that the dog needed something more as no amount of exercise could tire him out or satisfy him - He was fully house trained when I got him and he would wake me up in the middle of the night to go to the loo - A brilliant dog and it was a pleasure knowing him. He brought alot of joy into my life and now I feel empty. I am so upset that I had to write down my feelings - sorry to bore you all. Tracy

Maggie

Maggie Report 9 Oct 2004 19:01

Hi Tracy - really sorry for your having to rehome Skip - it can be a wrench they burrow into our hearts so easily. You didn't actually say why he went to the new home though, I hope you don't mind me asking? Being a collie he would have boundless energy and need constant mental stimulation so being a sheepdog will be a brilliant life for him. Your sadness shows that you did love him and your feeling of loss is understandable - I hope things go well for you from now on. Take care - Maggie

Angela

Angela Report 9 Oct 2004 19:06

The relationship between pet and owner is a huge commitment - I have been the pet of 4 cats for over 12 years so I should know! If it doesn't work, there are a lot of years for both of you to be dissatisfied with the way things are In this case, it sounds as if your dog wants and needs a working life with focus and discipline rather than a cosy home life. To have held on to him in this circumstance would not have done him any favours. Some dogs are like that, just as some people are. Don't feel guilty because you've done exactly the right thing. And the time and love you've given him have got him off to a good start in his new life. Angela

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 9 Oct 2004 19:26

tracey im sooo sorry hun yesterday we collected a 2yr old bulldog . we were contacted by a family who didnt have time to pay him enough attention,and as we have 2 already,we decided to take him in well!!! when we arrived at their house i was totally disgusted with them poor beefy(thats his name)had been totally neglected!! he had hardly any fur,hes got entropian ,and to top it all he really smelt!! anyway we took him home and gave him a bath and a dam good meal i was in tears with the state of him so we took him to the vet. they said that they have never seen a bulldog with a waist before,thats how thin he is he was 8lb underweight sooo timid she lifted his tail and was in shock hes got such a horrendous infection under his tail ,which is wat is causing the smell. so today he has had a good bath again and ive been on my hands and knees cleaning the muck from under his tail...and do you know wat?...hes smelling sweeter already he had been totally neglected,which disgusts me!! i really admire you hun it must be so hard for you. he will love running round the fields chasing sheep lol it is hard parting with a pet,i know,cos ive had to do it in the past . but you have done it because you loved him and for no other reason susie

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Oct 2004 19:33

Tracy Its a hard decision to make, but it is the right one, i know what you are going through, i had to rehome my german shepherd whos 5 ,as my health means i can no longer walk her, she went last sunday to a friend who has 6 children and he walks her 7 miles a day, he said she is settling in well and the kids love her. I'm lucky i shall still be able to see her, but i wanted her to be able to enjoy her life to, so i know its right. take care sandra

Shazza

Shazza Report 9 Oct 2004 19:50

I am sorry we have a rescue dog, Lucys a Border Collie and i understand about the exercise she will walk for Britain. She dosen't wake us up in the middle of the night for a wee shes very good in that respect. I guess we just struck lucky. Sharon

Speedy

Speedy Report 9 Oct 2004 20:06

Hi Tracy, it is hard having to give up a dog, but just think of all the runing round he can do, and you did make sure that it was a good house he was going to, so try not to be so down hearted, sending a hug to keep you company...((((HUG)))...There a big hug for you. Bev

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 9 Oct 2004 20:37

A very brave decision to make. My thoughts are with you. Rebecca

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 9 Oct 2004 21:16

Hi Tracy, i know how you feel, i didn't give my dog up but she died 3 yrs ago from a heart attack, she was a cross border collie. She was 15 when she died, when she was young she had boundless energy,i was able to be at home with her then, i used to take her on long walks and let her run on the field,and when we came home she was still rairing to go again, if she was left on her own she would rip the carpets,then someone told me to ignore her when she did it,and that did the trick,she never did it again. She had the border collie instinct in her, when she ran on the field she would run round any dogs that were there as tho she was rounding them up!! poor dogs used to stand there in a confussed state!!!!! Even when she was older she still wanted to run but i had to stop her cos she would get out of breath,in the end i bought an extending lead for her. I still miss her, but they do need a lot of exercise, why not get a smaller dog? Chris.

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 9 Oct 2004 21:29

Dear Tracy I am so so to hear your news. On the good side, though, he will have a better life as a working dog. Border Collies are born to work and do not stand up well to being house-dogs and if confined easily become neurotic. Because of their boundless energy, they tend to be short-lived, usually to about 10, although having said that, my daughter has just lost her faithful friend, also a border collie, at the age of 14½. He was not exactly a working dog but led a very active outdoor life and was excellent at rounding up the hens and the family. Len

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 9 Oct 2004 21:32

thinking of you tracey, theres no more words that will comfort you but maybe you could go and visit skip. i remember you saying when you got him about his name. remember how much fun hell have chasing everything.

Fairy

Fairy Report 9 Oct 2004 22:26

One thing with a Collie you can never tire them out, always full of beans. Thats why they make such good working dogs. The best thing you can do is to get yourself another dog ASAP. We do get attached to animals, they become part of the family, of course you will miss him and I feel for you. Jo.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 9 Oct 2004 22:48

Tracy, We have a border collie (bred as a worker) we were his 4th owners! 2 farms could not train this one, useless with sheep! 3rd home he trashed it completely, and I mean that! no carpets left, chair or table legs nothing, and he had 2 other dogs to play with all day. Came to us, dog flap in back door, took him 2 mins, if that, to realise what it was, had him 10 years now, never touched a thing in the house or messed. I sometimes feel this breed are too intelligent for their own good, but with the flap he has the freedom to explore, nose and protect, which he does. And our other one was the same! Wouldn't get another though, forgot how many hairs they like to get shoot off their bodies through the year!!! lol Luv this one too bits, my little Roo's Kim

Angela

Angela Report 10 Oct 2004 11:33

So Sorry to hear about Skip, You did the right thing for him. This brings to mind my story about my collie Sam, many years ago. Sam came from the rspca and was a year old. He had been abused by previous owners and wasn't to be housed with children, as I was single at the time that wasn't a problem. I had 6months to a year of bad behaviour from this dog during which there were many times I thought about rehoming him. As the years rolled by and my children came along I was so glad that I had the patience and the time to keep him as he turned into a wonderful, faithful friend to all the family and was particularly wonderful with the children. I guess we were very lucky and Sam had a wonderful life with us and finally died at 13. I am sure that Skip will enjoy his new life. Be happy for him-you did the right thing, hard as it is for you. Angie

T J

T J Report 10 Oct 2004 13:08

Thankyou for all your kind messages - Another day has broken and it seemed so strange him not being here this morning - I' going to miss him for along time. I know I have done the best thing by him and the small holding he has gone to have sheep and children - He was fabulous with children. Christine it didn't matter how you treat Skip when he was full of mischief (ignored him or tapped him) he would still carry on doing - he never damaged any furniture just shoes, knickers and socks - he was very stong headed and too strong headed for me - he ignored my hubby.