General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do you know what this week is?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 01:25

I don't know whether you know, but this week is "Festoon a Gnome with Bacon Rind Week". Get your sponsor forms from any Butcher or Garden Centre. Have fun, Jim.

Mags

Mags Report 11 Oct 2004 02:22

Norman the Naughty Gnome stands behind a bush in our garden, his mac thrown wide - 'festoon your gnome with bacon rind'?? - the mind boggles!!! Magsxx

pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo Report 11 Oct 2004 05:15

It must be Round the Horne.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 11 Oct 2004 07:26

Never heard of it before, is it an old tradition?..

badger

badger Report 11 Oct 2004 08:20

Think it's something to do with nursery rinds.Fred.ptfg.

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 11 Oct 2004 08:26

I have a friend who's a Gnome and he has never mentioned this festival before! I must have words with him. Jacky

Fairy

Fairy Report 11 Oct 2004 09:10

Yes it's Back Care Week.

Geoff

Geoff Report 11 Oct 2004 09:38

I expect I've done rasher things but I can't remember any.

Geoff

Geoff Report 11 Oct 2004 10:37

Christine was right - Round the Horne Programme Eleven 23 April 1967 1. Do Anything Rather Than Listen To Round The Horne 2. Festoon A Gnome With Bacon Rind Day 3. Armpit Theatre - The Phantom Of Bogmouth Hip 4. On The Other Side Of The Tracks 5. Colour Supplement 6. Charles & Fiona On Gambling 7. Bona Tax Consultants 8. Rambling Syd Rumpo 9. Police Message

pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo Report 11 Oct 2004 10:45

Geoff, hadn't realised it was that long ago. Am now feeling old. Christine

Mags

Mags Report 11 Oct 2004 13:23

LOL - I thought Christine's first remark was connected to mine! I apologise for having such a smutty mind. Magsx

Geoff

Geoff Report 11 Oct 2004 13:50

Others from the same stable: Smear A Goose In Camembert For International Motherhood Week Smear A Traffic Warden In Bloater Paste For Asia Day Baste An Archdeacon With Syrup of Figs For Fun And Profit Week Try To Slip A Double Entendre Past The Producer Day

The Mad House

The Mad House Report 11 Oct 2004 15:25

i will have to have a word with my gnome he seems to have forgotten to tell me (bad gnome)lol

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 16:20

Ah Dear old Rambling Sid.I wonder if his Cordwangle is still Gusseted.

pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo Report 11 Oct 2004 19:10

Or it could be "Coat a sheep in raspberry jam week".

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 11 Oct 2004 19:24

Errm, not knowing if i'm any the wiser!..

pinkflamingo

pinkflamingo Report 11 Oct 2004 19:29

Christine you need to be an oldie to know this. Christine x