General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOW TO FIND MISSING RELATIVES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deb

Deb Report 11 Oct 2004 10:14

Don't know if people know about this, but I am trying to track down my grandad. I have discovered TRACELINE who have all national statistics and if relatives are alive can act as intermediates for you. If relatives are deceased they will tell you where they are buried. Tel No: 0151 471 4811 Cost is £30 for 5 to 6 weeks result or £40 for 5 to 6 days. Hope this helps anyone who is looking for immediate family. All the best dEB

Deb

Deb Report 11 Oct 2004 17:15

nudged

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 17:19

Can they even track down someone with a fairly common name? I'm very interested, as I have just one more (probably living) rellie to track down. Thanks, Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 17:33

For more info, read here: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/research/traceline/ It seems the cost is about £30, but if you pay £40 they will get back to you in 5 days. For this they need a date of birth. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 17:36

Many thanks Nell .... right then, birth father, here I come lol!! Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 19:16

Thanks Baz, but don't worry, this tracing service is part of the GRO. However, for anyone else who's interested, they will not search for a birth relative. I can't imagine why, because they send a letter on your behalf anyway, they don't disclose the person's address to you. A bit disappointing but never mind!

Gypsy

Gypsy Report 11 Oct 2004 20:34

I used Traceline two years ago to find my dad. He had dissapeared 15 years earlier. It took them about two months to reply. They had found him living in N Wales. (I am in London). They passed on my details, and he telephoned me. Actually his call came before the letter saying they had found him, So it was a huge shock. I went to see him that weekend, and we have kept in touch ever since. I will always be grateful to Traceline. They changed my life, they found the father i didn't know. I cannot fault their service. I am actually currently waiting for their response to another of my queries. Pat

Sheila

Sheila Report 11 Oct 2004 20:48

Hi Debbie, I agree with you, this can be a really useful site, but there are cases where they cannot assist, for instance tracing adopted children or natural birth parents. If the name of the person you are looking for is not to common you can look it up on the latest electoral roll disk, it helps if you have a middle inital and if possible a county, but this can be done without these things if the name is unsual. I have a feeling that where Traceline is useful they can search on the persons NI number not just there name, however they will not issue you with the persons address, but will forward on a letter on your behalf, so if all else fails this could be worth a try. Best Wishes Sheila

Deb

Deb Report 12 Oct 2004 09:47

Thanks for all your replies. Traceline was recommended to me by the Ministry of Defense so should be okay I think. Another number people can also try is Salvation Army 02073674747. If this all helps just one person get in contact with someone I will be very happy. Deb