General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prisons

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 11 Oct 2004 14:08

What are everybodies views on HM Prisons? Do you think they are secure enough? What do people think of Open Prisons, should they exist? and do you think they should supply better quality foods?

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 14:10

better quality food ? No. Worse quality.. maybe :o) I'm afraid my opinion is that there aren't enough prisons, we shoudl NOT be reducing sentences due to overcrowding, we should be building more prisons, and putting thos ethat deserve it away for longer.

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 11 Oct 2004 14:11

Steedie, I know a chap who did time and he had no complaints about the prison service at all.... he was in a category A prison (high security) got offered a transfer to an open but realised the treats (gym, squash courts, tennis courts etc) would not be at the Open so he stayed put.... and has been back twice since.... that's how much of a deterrent prisons are!! Not to mention the money they recieve on coming out.... he had nearly £300 after just 6 weeks!! Oh don't start me on me soapbox!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 14:13

is there room for two Diana ? lol

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 11 Oct 2004 14:14

Oh yes Paul... always room on my soapbox for others!! :O) Prisons = cushy number in disguise of punishment!! Put them in cardboard city for a while and see how they cope!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 14:16

Bring back the death penalty and save us taxpayers a fortune keeping the louts. enough said!

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 11 Oct 2004 14:17

What about the people who are in their because of mistakes they have made, or people who had no other thing to turn to than maybe fraud or something??

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 14:18

I don't know much about prisons, other than that the more you build the more people will be sent there. Just as more roads are built [think M25] to alleviate jams, but actually just become jammed themselves. Why do people commit crimes? I don't want to sound wishywashy, but if we could prevent them in the first place, that would be a much better idea. I also think there is too much glamorisation of crime, with many ex-criminals (or people who have "got away with it") becoming celebrities. But however lovely the prison food, libraries, sports facilities are, it wouldn't compensate me for the loss of my family. Perhaps many offenders don't miss what they've never had, ie a strong family to sort them out, which is why they turn to crime in the first place. I would absolutely hate not being able to do what I wanted when I wanted, and "slopping out" isn't something I could bear the thought of. nell

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Oct 2004 14:19

Steph, there's always another way, noone "needs" to turn to crime, I don't buy that for a second.

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 11 Oct 2004 14:22

Steedie.... most people make mistakes and are punished nitially through other ways than prison.... prison is usually seen as a last resort... the chap i was talking about was a drink driver.... he'd been caught 3 times over the legal limit whilst driving on a BAN... it was his 3rd offence.... he had other convictions too... cheque fraud etc. but had never been sent down.... he was or should i say is from a very good family and he should know better but he has no respect for the law or for other people. Criminals are criminals no matter what law they are breaking... The know the punishment when they commit the crime.... so as the old saying goes....... if you can't do the time, don't do the crime!! Sorry I got on the box!!

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 11 Oct 2004 14:59

sorry didn't mean to rant and stop the thread in it's tracks.... will back off now and let you all get a word in edgeways!! :O)

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 11 Oct 2004 15:06

I can see what you mean, i had a very close relative who went away though, she committed a crime for no other reason than to support her family and try to give us a good life, almost because she felt guilty that we hadnt had one so far....she obviousley had an awful time in prison, it still haunts her now....xxx

Lisa

Lisa Report 11 Oct 2004 15:19

opens prisons i feel shouldn't exist .if you have done the crime you should do the time.xxxx(:

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 11 Oct 2004 15:28

Steedie.... it is horrible that someone feels they have no option but to commit crime for their family's but we all have a choice.... and as an adult i think i would have weighed up the chances of getting caught and punished and what it would do to my family then!! My favorite saying is "CHOICE NOT CHANCE DETERMINES DESTINY"

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 11 Oct 2004 15:38

Yes Di you are right....she just got stuck in a rut and panicked!! xxxxxx

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 11 Oct 2004 15:40

then my heart goes out to her.... she's paid for it now and should be able to hold her head high and say, it was an error in judgement never to be repeated!! Give her a big hug from me!! :O)