General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestors/Rellies' claims to fame!?!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 11 Oct 2004 21:04

I recently found out that my great uncle (Jack Spengler) was a messenger for the home office after the war for a time. He delivered the death warrant for Ruth Ellis (last woman to be executed in Britain) to the Palace in 1955.

Natalie

Natalie Report 11 Oct 2004 21:38

My great-great grandfather worked with Dr Barnardo, as Superintendent of the Boys' Home in Stepney Causeway.

Speedy

Speedy Report 11 Oct 2004 22:05

My husband is distantly related to....yes you guessed it Dolly Parton, and his grandad was Earp also distantly related to Wyatt Earp, lookig forward to doing his tree :)) Bev

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 11 Oct 2004 23:06

A distant rellie of mine was Joyce Barbour the actress.

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 11 Oct 2004 23:11

My Cousin is my modern day claim to fame :-) He is a business correspondent for the BBC so anyone watching the BBC News at 1pm if you hear his name mentioned you can say... Hey Thats Big Shaz's cousin! I'm not at liberty to stick his name on here so I'll just say... He is the son of my mums brother and I am allowed to say that mums maiden name is Sommerville! Also my cousin doesnt have a very common christian name... If you look carefully you may just notice that he has two different coloured eyes and as a wee boy he used to say it was because he was special :-) Shaz x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Oct 2004 23:16

My late father in law was chef to King George VI, and my late mother in law was a grand daughter of Charles Stewart parnell and Kate O'Shea. Okay, they're on my ex hubby's side, but my children are direct descendants!! maggie

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Oct 2004 07:15

Shall look closer next time Shaz, recognize the name on the news sometimes!.

Mags

Mags Report 12 Oct 2004 07:23

My grandfather on my dad's side is reputed to have driven or been part of the crew on the train that took the animals to Whipsnade Zoo when it first opened - but I can't find a record of it anywhere. That's the best I could come up with!! Magsx

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Oct 2004 07:39

I think most of mine were ag labs way back but in 1950s my uncle supposedly helped pull the gun carriage at the King's funeral. I guess there might be newsreel photos somewhere?

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 12 Oct 2004 08:24

Hi everyone, We have a Monmouth rebel Caleb Swaffield. But I was at school with a girl who was a direct descendant of one of the knights who murdered Thomas a Becket. Not a claim to fame I would want Rose

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 12 Oct 2004 17:24

All of mine seem to go back to ag labs or paupers too. Nothing wrong with that. But is interesting to have famous ancestors, ah well maybe I'll be descended from William the Conquerer or something bizarre like that! Maybe not!

Maxine

Maxine Report 12 Oct 2004 17:37

My Mum's cousin won gold medal in the commonwealth games for weightlifting. Again a cousin of my Mum's used to go out with Dave from Dave Clark Five. My Great, Great Gran was in the local paper for celebrating her 102 birthday. She put her longevity down to hard work, which was impossible according to my Nan, who said she was a lazy moo. Husbands, Great Grandfather has a school named after him in Tranent, Scotland. Maxine

Zoe

Zoe Report 12 Oct 2004 17:43

Gwynneth try this website: www.britishpathe(.)com remove brackets If anyone will have footage of it they will Zoe

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Oct 2004 17:48

Shaz, it's really annoying me that I can't think of his first name as I know who you mean lol !! Never mind, I will keep ears and eyes open. Amongst all the ag labs, I have found one surgeon which made a nice change, but I'm desperately waiting for someone famous ... and I don't care what it's for!! Mandy :))

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 12 Oct 2004 18:13

Im distantly related to Jimmy Greaves but cant work out where. Elaine x

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 12 Oct 2004 19:40

Mandy and Christine Would the letter Q be of any help to you? oh and dont forget his Scottish accent ;-) Shaz x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Oct 2004 19:43

You will never believe this Shaz, but I remembered it this afternoon!, now it's gone, kept thinking erten or something!.

valinkent

valinkent Report 14 Oct 2004 17:35

My Great great grand mother lived at Gouldhurst Farm in Aldington Kent ,which was bought by Noel Coward ,and my great Aunt worked as a domestic for him . Val

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 14 Oct 2004 18:31

My Grt Grt Grandmother was Chaplin and had a brother called Charles - haven't worked on him fully just yet, but a few details have made me wonder if he is the father of Charlie!