General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Good dogs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebecca

Rebecca Report 11 Oct 2004 21:43

I have just got home from dog obedience classes, and Ben (an 18 month old Parsons Jack Russell) decided to ignore everything I said tonight. Last week he got a prize for being so good. This week he took some convincing to do anything right first time. I enjoy the classes and need him obedient for the agility classes, he even know left from right - when he wants to. I also believe it is important for those with dogs to be responsible as not everyone likes dogs. A dog should be under control at all times. Does any one else go to trainingg classes. An exhasuted Rebecca.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 11 Oct 2004 23:53

I had an insane Springer Spaniel who absolutely worshipped children. Trouble was, she was so pleased to see them she would hurl herself like a rocket at them, stopping about a millimetre away. Of course, strange children could not realise that she was actually going to stop and I was always getting into trouble for my "dangerous dog". Eventually I took her to classes, the leader admitted himself beaten, but we managed to teach her one command which was "Down". This worked very well for all situations, all I had to do was scream at the top of my lungs from one end of the beach to the other and down she would go. She was not a "traffic aware" dog so was never off the lead anywhere near a road. Trouble was, she somehow connected the sound of traffic with the word down and everytime she heard a car would drop to the ground and refuse to move till it had gone past her, lead or no lead. The milkfloat was a particular problem and a hundred yard walk could take an hour. Which is why you may have seen me sometime, very hot and cross, carrying an extremely healthy and heavy springer spaniel along a main road!