General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone have a dog with epilepsy?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 12 Oct 2004 08:07

Our dog Raucous had 2 fits last night,after the first I just dozed and after the second at just after 3 I couldn't get back to sleep.He started having them about a year and a half ago,totally out of the blue.He's on medication and now just has one or 2 a month.Sometimes he takes his tablets no problem,other times he refuses them off me but will take them from hubby or kids.He's a lovely dog and I'm so glad the tablets make a difference or I dread to think what might happen.When I was 5 my dog Mickey had to get put down because he had epilepsy,I was distraught and still remember coming home one day and he wasn't there and I cried for hours. Wendy

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 12 Oct 2004 08:18

No,not a dog ,but we did have a lovely cat who adopted us years ago. We could not have him in doors as he sprayed everywhere when he fitted,but we made him very comfortable in an outhouse and he got lots of attention from the boys. He didn't live very long.

Kaz

Kaz Report 12 Oct 2004 08:23

hi wendy, one of my dogs has epilepsy, hes a male border collie, he had his first one when he was 18 months old, and as far as i know he has one about every six months, so doesnt need medication as yet, hes now eight years o;d so i suppose we have been very fortunate. One thing that never ceases to amaze me though is our other dog, 6 year old border collie, never allows the older one to have any attention at all she is sooooo jealous, but when hoochie is having a seizure she just sits by my side and allows me to fuss him and sort him out, and never gets jealous, she also alerts me to his seizures if i am unaware. One time she came running into the bedroom at 5am, jumping on the bed, until i got up thinking she needed the loo, she kept running up and down the stairs, and when i stood at the top of the stairs trying to wake myself up she was at the bottom looking up at me and then looking round the corner, i went downstairs and lo and behold by the back door was hoochie having a seizure, is she a great dog or what!!!! anyway all the best for you and your poochie kaz