General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

filling up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Oct 2004 12:07

How many of you, have made the error of putting the wrong fuel in your vehicle?How much? and did you get away with it?

Philip

Philip Report 12 Oct 2004 12:20

Hello Bob, Confession time! Been a driver for 40 years and never done it before. However, last week I went to Sainsbury's, couldn't get in on the proper side of the diesel pump, so parked on the other side. My mind was a million miles away, so I reached, as usual, for the right hand nozzle and filled right up. Some 2 miles later, found that the engine was beginning to run erratically, thought about it, decided I must have put the wrong fuel in (petrol into a diesel engine), so called up the AA on my mobile. Response time was very good, only 20 minutes to be collected by a locally registered recovery agent in Barnstaple, taken down to their place, where they flushed the tank right through and changed the filters. I was lucky! Not too much damage, cost £130. If it'd gone futher, could've ended up wrecking the fuel pump, then the whole engine seizing up, projected cost some £2500 to fix! Apparently petrol into diesel is much worse than the other way way round, as it washes all the oil lubrication content away, resulting in the engine eventually seizing up completely. Won't happen again, I will not be using Sainsbury's anymore, despite its much-vaunted price reductions; it's too much like a cattle market! Really disgusted with myself, asked the recovery firm for a pistol to shoot myself, but they didn't have one! lol! Philip

Sue

Sue Report 12 Oct 2004 12:32

Phillip Don't feel too bad about your mistake. I work for a local recovery company and you wouldn't believe the amount of people that put the wrong fuel in their vehicles! Last month we recovered a vehicle after the driver put petrol in his diesel tank. The driver was very annoyed with himself, but guess what.............two weeks later we recovered him again, from a different garage, after he did the same thing again!!!!!!!!!!! His car was new to him, but his old car was a diesel too, so he really had no excuse! The only thing in his favour was that he didn't drive his car, but luckily realised his mistake immediately! Sue