General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

shorthand

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 12 Oct 2004 21:54

Is shorthand still taught today? I learnt Pitmans shorthand but it seems to me that it is almost obsolete these days. I still use it to note down things for myself which I don't want anyone else to read, such as birthday/xmas lists. Sylvia xxx

☼♥Missy

☼♥Missy Report 12 Oct 2004 22:17

Some firms still like you to be able to do shorthand. I use Teeline shorthand. Lorraine

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 12 Oct 2004 22:59

I learnt it at college in the 80's but never used it really. Hated it!!! Can only remember a few bits - 'yours sincererly/faithfully' 'thank you for your letter'. Never made much sense to me! The touch typing though has never left me - I'm doing it now in fact!!! Maz. XX

syljo

syljo Report 13 Oct 2004 15:35

Yes, I agree with you about touch typing. I've always managed to find work with my typing skills. Sylvia xxx

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 13 Oct 2004 16:12

I use Pitmans shorthand (have certs for 140 wpm) and use it every day at work - my boss cannot stand dictaphones, and his hand writing is awful. I have always worked for chief execs during my work life, and its the shorthand that sways it every time. Must be something about a male dictating to a female - lol (lets be honest, the work place is probably the only place they could get away with it!). Jacqui

syljo

syljo Report 13 Oct 2004 18:39

140 wpm is very good. I only went up to 120. I found it made me nervous. I used to take the minutes of meetings and was always worried I wouldn't be able to read it back. I worked with someone who did Greggs shorthand and she seemed to be able to read it back quicker than I could. When I returned to work again after the children were grown up I took a job here. My boss was a Scotsman and I was so surprised that he could actually read my shorthand. He was an ex newspaper man!! Sylvia xxx

Natalie

Natalie Report 13 Oct 2004 20:33

I loved using Pitmans shorthand...but haven't used it much since computers came in. Still remember learning all this "Abe paid the debt" stuff!! Also did audio-typing, which I hated with a passion. Bet nobody does that anymore! The kids at school do think it's "cool" when I take down something they say (in shorthand) and then read it back to them. I think they see it as some sort of magic trick!!!!