General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do they still do that?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Oct 2004 10:18

Does anyone know whether Genes still send an e mail to tell people that they have been sent a message on the site? I was so pleased to find a positive link at the weekend after my 'New names' showed someone had posted 42 people with the right surname in the right area so I sent a message straight off to him. But will he know, if he isn't yet an addict to the boards?

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Oct 2004 10:20

They do: it comes as an e-mail to say something like: "You have a message from Bill, click the link below to read the message".

Bev

Bev Report 13 Oct 2004 10:20

yes Genes e-mail the person to tell them they have a message on here Bev

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Oct 2004 10:23

Oh. Thanks for that. There may be hope then. I wonder why they don't tell me? I've had messages recently but haven't known until I've actually logged in to this site.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Oct 2004 10:38

It seems to be hit and miss whether or not you get an e mail. I have usually read any messages by the time I get the e mail to say I have a new mesage. It is not very efficient so best to check regularly. Ann Glos

June

June Report 13 Oct 2004 10:47

I have always got an email but sometimes its in my junk folder June

Debbie

Debbie Report 13 Oct 2004 13:52

Hi Gwyneth I sent a mail to someone on here earlier but I still havnt recieved it through my email account to say it has gone. I know it usualy does, but sometimes it goes into Junk mail. I never used to have any so never looked in the junk mail. But then soon as Genes changed their email ways it went in there for some reason so now I have to check it every day. So perhaps the person does not read their junk mail.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Oct 2004 19:08

No messages from Genes but I don't care now!. I've had a reply from my message this evening and it contains an e mail address so we can mail direct. The system of notifying us does seem a bit hit and miss though.