General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you all thoughtful motorists?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Oct 2004 11:31

Yes I am sure you are. I have just walked to the local shops, about half a mile, and I got caught in quite heavy rain. But I was OK because I had a heavy duty wet weather walking coat on and thick denims. However, it rained heavily overnight, it is autumn and the drains are blocked. So we all know that means there is flooding in the gutters. Why can't motorists a) pull over to avoid the puddles if they see pedestrians and there is space for them to do so or, b) If it is not safe to pull over why don't they slow down and drive slowly through the puddle. it might be great fun to them to see pedestrians having to jump out of the way or get soaked but to the pedestrian it is most unpleasant. Please motorists (and I am one myself), look ahead and think pedestrian in this weather. Ann Glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Oct 2004 11:38

Too busy leaping out of the way to note the number unfortunately. Ann glos

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Oct 2004 12:22

From the lack of replies i guess not then??!!! Ann Glos

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Oct 2004 18:09

Yes, I reckon that I am....I make sure that ALL my lights are working properly and The CORRECT ones on, for the conditions. ie no foglights when it is raining and as for those stupid spotlights in the bumpers......say no more, I presume that there is a switch to turn them off,I dont sit at traffic lights with my foot on the brake pedal,park at the side of the road with my headlights on, I have my windows clean, and I DO take care when it is raining regarding the puddles, also give cyclists (when they can be seen) plenty of room, and the same for motorcyclists, I think" If he fell off now, could I avoid him?" especially on roundabouts........I see that there is move towards using cobblestone type surface on the new estates, around where I live........Not good, in the wet. having said that yes I really enjoy going through the deep'uns but keep an eye out for the Public, being in the Firing Line........... PS. I wish that MORE motorists would indicate Before they make their move They seem to take great care indicating right on roundabouts, but forget to say when they are turning off ("dont them behind realise/can't they guess?, i was going into the garage/ tesco's. etc ) Bob

Bob

Bob Report 13 Oct 2004 20:57

Just a thought... Going through a deep puddle at speed can damage a car's suspension and affect the alignment of the wheels. This will cause exessive wear to tyres. Bob

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Oct 2004 09:59

When i was 60, my kids bought me a 4X4 experience, at Silverstone...what a feeling, pushing that wave, which is nearly up to the bonnet of the Discovery! and as for getting stuck in the mud! excellent practice.............mind you, I wouldnt try it in my Renault 19!!!!!!!!

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 14 Oct 2004 10:02

I've done the Silverstone experience too.... the 4x4 wasn't my favorite tho.... I prefered the Caterhams.... absolutely must have one soon!! :O)

Lisa

Lisa Report 14 Oct 2004 17:52

MY BOYFRIEND LOVES DRIVING THROUGH PUDDLES, BUT HASNT SOAKED ANYONE YET, I WAS SOAKED ONLY ONCE BY A BUS, 5 MINS LATER RAN INTO THE CUTE GUY I FANCIED, I LOOKED LIKE A BEDRAGGLED RAT LOL

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 14 Oct 2004 17:57

I like to think I am. I'm learning right now and the bastards that cut me up.... unbelievable. Funny to see them in the rear view mirror getting all annoyed. Thing is I'm quite a good driver as learners come, it's just that I don't break any laws that frustrates them! Oh and the learner plate, they see that and vroom they're off.

Valice in

Valice in Report 14 Oct 2004 22:18

Didn't a policeman take a man to court for driving through a puddle and splashing him, although the chap stopped and apologised? Don't think the courts took any action though My pet hate, pedestrians who press the button for traffic to stop before looking to see if it's clear, so by the time they are across, traffic is forced to stop at a red light without anyone crossing.

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 14 Oct 2004 22:26

I am a thoughtful motorist. I think of sex the whole time. Len