General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tree felling

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 13 Oct 2004 13:09

This has nothing to do with family trees!! I've got a couple of trees in the back garden, that we want rid of. Nearest I can describe them is of the prunus species. Trunks are about one foot in diameter, about five feet tall. Branches then go out in all directions; thickest about 4 inches in diameter. Height about 15 feet; spread the same. That includes millions of leaves. They are evergreens I might add. The "experts" want to charge an arm and a leg, and we are on state pensions, so thinking of tackling the job ourselves!! Now then...anyone out there done it, or tried it? Would be very grateful for advice; tips on what to do or not do, etc. Thanx folks. Brian ;-0)

Fairy

Fairy Report 13 Oct 2004 13:15

I would only suggest Brian, if you hav'nt used a chain saw before then leave it to the experts. Don't forget if you have the 'experts' in they will get rid of the debris for you. Anyway that's what we did. Jo.

Brian

Brian Report 13 Oct 2004 14:17

Thanks for that tip, Kevin. I've looked up that saw on the website you suggested. May well buy one if I decide to go ahead with it. Brian :-)

Brian

Brian Report 13 Oct 2004 14:21

Taken on board your warning re. chain saws, Joanne. This "project" is in its' early stages at present. Will need to find out if our local council will accept the stuff at a tidy-tip as a starter...... could go pear shaped!! ;-(

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 13 Oct 2004 15:14

get my chick to park near it. she'll soon knock it down!!

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 13 Oct 2004 16:06

Brian - would agree with all the above comments! Note that the bulk of the charge quoted for doing the job is likely to be for disposal, as this is VERY expensive nowadays, this was one of the biggest costs when we had our garden 'done' this year. Depending on the type of tree, someone may be interested in the larger pieces of wood, for stoves, fires or crafting. Good luck and take care!

Brian

Brian Report 13 Oct 2004 17:01

Carol, Mary & Sheila, Thanx ladies for your tips, warnings, advice and first-hand experiences. It is all being collated in my head. As regards actually disposing of the debris (as you call it); I've been in touch with the relevant department in our town hall and they feel there should be no problem in my taking it along to a local tidy tip, in a van that I will hire, but to first inform the manager of the site of my intention. Then, on arrival, convince him that the van is hired (show paperwork from the hiring firm) and that the stuff is from my home address. I musn't give the impression that I am a diddycoy!! Will keep y'all informed...... Brian ;-o)

Brian

Brian Report 13 Oct 2004 17:05

Paul, Nice offer! Problem is the trees are in the back garden. Your chick would have to demolish the rear wall of the garage first.... could she do that OK? If so you're on! How can I get in touch? Brian :-}