General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

shepards pie---disney pie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Oct 2004 17:52

we're having shepards pie tonight and it got me thinking--when isabelle was about 3 she wouldn't eat shepards pie so we called it disney pie and broccoli was sleeping beauty trees.to this day we still call it that even though she knows what it is.. others were roast pototoes were spuds new pototoes were sunshine beans

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2004 17:58

And there was me thinking it was shepherd's pie!

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 13 Oct 2004 18:03

Mum used to say sprouts were baby cabbages, i still diddnt like them !

syljo

syljo Report 13 Oct 2004 18:05

Richard, Alan, male chauvinism, I could have told you that too, but had to cook dinner. Who else do you think cooks our dinner. We could call it cottage pie of course. Sylvia xxx

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Oct 2004 18:09

Richard,i've had someone round fitting a door today,lots of banging(that my excuse) we also have pasta inya face--so called because isabelle(again) was being very naughty with her pasta so i put her face in the pasta.no calls to the nspcc please--i didn't shove her face right in (although i wanted to) god i sound so cruel

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 13 Oct 2004 18:10

thanks for sticking up for me sylvia

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2004 22:58

I remember my toddler wanting fish fingers and demanding I put them on his plate. I told him they weren't cooked yet and were still raw. "Take the raw out" he said. So when I cooked anything after that, I was taking the raw out. When I was a child I loved "apple fluff" (pureed cooking apple, with sugar) and cold custard. MMMMMmmmmm! My dad always went on about eating veg out of the garden that he'd grown himself, so we used to go on about "Yorkshire pud -- out the garden" etc. to annoy him.

Annie

Annie Report 13 Oct 2004 23:45

I thought shepherd's pie was Lamb, fisherman's pie was cod and cottage pie was beef - maybe was my simplistic view. When I was a child we used to have William Pie - was tinned beef in pastry, but there was an advert for dog food on the TV where Mum used to shout WIILLL-IAM and this hound used to turn up for his gloppy dogfood. We also have Cloud (dumplings). tree - brocolli, white tree - cauliflower. My fave though is my brother as a kid hated chickens eggs, and my uncle told him the brown ones were Corgi's eggs. He's now 45 but still only eats Corgi's eggs. A

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2004 23:54

helen..little nell..mrs evans,i wanna wee lol..i really love apple fluff....please send a doggy bag via gc lol. bryan.

Annie

Annie Report 14 Oct 2004 00:18

You got me remembering now brother where art thou - bread and butter pudding (seeking the sultanas) And when we went to Wales my Nin had sterilised milk from the milkman - my quote being One pint of English, please and one Pint of Welsh. Takes me back A

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2004 01:09

shepherds pie...lamb...while shepherds tend their flock by nite...they have fur coats,and sleep outside. cottage pie is beef...cows get cold,and live in sheds at nite,next to the main house,sometimes called the farmhouse,or cottage...both are soooo tasty!!!. bryan.

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 14 Oct 2004 01:23

Baz liked your Scottish explanation of Disney pie Elizabeth I have always pronounced Scone Palace in Scotland as Skoon but the scone you eat as Skon. I've always called omelettes " hilly eggs" Don't know why. Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Oct 2004 09:31

Oops! .... looks as if I stirred up a hornet's nest. Sorry, Karen,if I gave any offence. At least it led to some lively exchanges. I had to go off line so missed Alan's first reply which got deleted. Thank you for not correcting my grammar, Alan .....or did you? I will be equally magnanimous over your spelling! Richard

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 14 Oct 2004 10:02

Scone should be pronounced scone, as in cone. If it was supposed to be pronounced scon....then it would be spelt Scon! He he Im definatly not posh....pmsl Elaine x

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 14 Oct 2004 12:23

Richard-no offence taken--what a can of worms this opened up.just to mix it all up our disney pie is beef so really should be cottage but we say sheperds because the kids say they prefer sheperds. i say scone as in cone(a very big fat one with clotted cream and jam please)

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 15 Oct 2004 00:08

Many years ago, I worked in the kitchens of the Strand Palace Hotel, London, under the head chef Monsieur Conil. Cottage Pie is always made with cooked, minced beef (Sunday's leftovers) in a rectangular dish, topped with a thatch of shredded potato and cheese, drawn up to make a "roof" shape. If you make it with fresh, raw beef mince, it is not Cottage Pie but Cumberland Pie! Shepherds Pie is always lamb-based, with mashed potato topping, in any old shape dish you like! (Fish Pie, incidentally, should be made in an oval pie dish, with sliced potato on top laid fish-scale wise). Amazing to think, all these things mattered so much at one time! My daughter, when asked what sort of egg she would like would say "Down eggy" (fried) or "Up eggy" (boiled. We still call them that.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Oct 2004 00:25

marjorie....just out of interest,the regents palace hotel,part of the strand palace group...now has a ...harry ramsden fish and chip restauarant...in the hotel....how times have changed lol. bryan.

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 15 Oct 2004 00:35

Bryan - yes, I know, and the Strand Palace Hotel is now run as a Travel Lodge, I believe! God, they must all be turning in their graves, I went from kitchen duties to Afternoon waitressing (women were not considered suitable for Table Service at Dinner in those days) and we had to wear full, starched aprons, stiff as a board. We all had to face the wall, the manager would walk behind us, and anyone who had not tied a perfect bow in their apron and cap (cap ribbons to touch waistband, apron ribbon points to touch dress hem) had them ripped out. Also the caps came back from the laundry starched like a floorboard and you had to pleat them yourself. I was rather good at this and the other waitresses used to pay me to do theirs. In case you are wondering if Im about 150 years old, no, this was in the early 1960s. I kind of miss that formality sometimes, everything ran to rigid rules and at least you knew what was and wasnt expected of you! Remind me sometime to tell you about M. Conils revolting chutney, which sold for vastly inflated price in the Foyer, youd die if you knew what was in it.

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 15 Oct 2004 00:38

Ah but think about it Elaine. Just because scone is spelled that way doesn't mean it is said that way, e.g. Bone, Done and Gone. LOL I think it must be a regional thing. We always call it shepherd's pie up here even though it's minced beef thats in it and in the five years I worked in a bakers shop everyone pronounced scones as Skon Christine

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Oct 2004 00:53

marjorie,nothing you say,would surprise me...as a paramedic,i was called to the strand palace,as a guy had chopped his finger off,but as i was treating him,several male kitchen staff started arguing,in a language,that i did'nt understand...thought they were going to hit each other,but no...they spent five minutes spitting at each other...not bithered that it landed on the food. bryan...off to bed .