General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Judy in the states can you help me please!!!!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 13 Oct 2004 21:50

i had a pop up from microsoft the other day to install sp2 to up date my computer, i did this today and everything slowed down,some of the programmes wouldn't come up, i could get on line but couldn't get any pages up! do i really need this?? microsoft say i do, to keep my computer safe, i have norton antivirus, zone alarm and there firewall, isn't that enough?? anyway, i un-installed this and everything has gone back to normal. please help someone as i am totally confused!!! chris.

Joy

Joy Report 13 Oct 2004 21:54

Not computer literate, sorry, but send the plea to Judy in the States, she can solve all computer problems! Joy

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 13 Oct 2004 22:13

thanks joy, have done so, nudgeing up!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Oct 2004 22:14

Hi Christine, have you also put this query on Tips? Best to have all options covered! Good luck, Mandy :)

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 13 Oct 2004 22:23

have just done that Mandy----------thanks chris.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 13 Oct 2004 22:45

mommylonglegs, thought it was just me!!! glad i'm not alone, did your daughter un-install it? makes you wonder if they are sending us all these downloads for that reason, never thought of that. i too worry if i'm doing the right thing!! chris.

Maggie

Maggie Report 14 Oct 2004 01:53

Hi Christine I'm just nudging this up as I keep getting requests to download this too and was wondering if I should. Maggie

badger

badger Report 14 Oct 2004 09:56

They [microsoft] keep inserting spyware in their updates ,and then when you download, the spyware conflicts with your anti spyware programmes and norton ,this in turn screws up the system on SOME computers ,all you can do is try it ,and if it dosn't work go back to your old settings.You can keep knocking it back and you do not need it if you have mccaffee or norton ,plus a good firewall on your system, as all these updates are msn trying to plug up the gaps in a failing security system.Fred.ptfg.

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 14 Oct 2004 11:46

thanks fred, youv'e put my mind at rest. chris.

Philip

Philip Report 14 Oct 2004 13:28

Hello Christine, Yes, I entirely agree with Fred on this one. Microsoft are primarily a commercial organisation trying to sell us load of stuff, a lot of which we either already have, or don't really need. I haven't had your SP2 problems (yet!), but I keep on getting ridiculous prompts to update my virus definitions for Norton every time I start my computer, despite the fact I keep them regularly updated anyway. "If it ain't broke, don't mend it! etc... Philip

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 14 Oct 2004 20:24

thanks everyone for your replys, glad i'm not the only one to have problems with it, thought it was just me !!!! chris

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 14 Oct 2004 20:47

hi maz, i had a pop up from microsoft to install it, and an email a few days later saying to install it, so i did, then i had problems, i could get on line but no pages would come up, so i un-installed, got on line, tried to get to support centre but nothing would come up!! Chris.

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 14 Oct 2004 21:56

christine i have e-mail judy for you

Bob

Bob Report 14 Oct 2004 22:06

I have been doing some research and it seems that lots of people have been suffering from a slow down while many others (like me) have no problem. The following info may be useful • Most problems seem to be with XP Home.Edition • It is vital that your computer is clean from viruses etc before installation • Be sure that you have the latest updates for any hardware you have attached to your computer (Go to the supplier’s site and get the downloads) • If you have Norton or any other firewall and AVG go into the Security Centre (START>CONTROL PANEL.SECURITY CENTER) and disable everything (That will stop the annoying pop-up) • Download a small free program from: http://www.freeware4pc.*com/utilities/tunexp.shtml or http://www.driverheaven.net/dforce/binary/TuneXP15.exe and run the boot defrag and ultrafast booting options. This last is probably for the more confident user but I promise it won’t do any harm and it can speed up the loading time considerably. Even after doing all the above and more some people still have problems. The only solution is to uninstall SP2. I will look forward to Judy’s comments Bob

Bob

Bob Report 15 Oct 2004 18:31

Bumped in the hope of a reply from Judy Bob

Maggie

Maggie Report 15 Oct 2004 22:25

Bumped agani in the hope of a reply from Judy Maggie

*****me*****

*****me***** Report 16 Oct 2004 18:23

and again!!

Maggie

Maggie Report 18 Oct 2004 01:42

I hope you all don't mind but I'm nudging this again in the hope that Judy sees it. Maggie