General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MEETING uP- WARNING

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 15 Oct 2004 08:05

I have just read a posting from a very young person on the Trying to find board and a reply from one of the club who like myself was concerned by what he read. This has lead me to issue a warning to all of our young members. If you are planning to meet anyone who claims to be a relative of yours ask specific questions of them that only the genuine person would know,like 'What was my Mums second name?' or how many cats did my grandma have. They don't have to be difficult questions, but ones that only someone really familiar with your family could answer. Always go on any first meeting with a person who you can trust. In life ALWAYS BE SUSPICIOUS.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Oct 2004 08:12

Good advice Rosemary, also, you sometimes see a lot of personal mobile phone numbers.

JackyJ1593

JackyJ1593 Report 15 Oct 2004 08:17

I have to admit that at times I have wondered whether to add to a thread or not as sometimes I think we give too much information. Albeit unknowingly. There is a lot of info about ourselves as individuals spread across several threads. I am of an age and nature that is naturally sceptical and will question but there are some who are too trustworthy and need to exert some caution. A good warning Rose. Jacky :-)

June

June Report 15 Oct 2004 08:19

I agree with what you have said about arranging to meet, its totaly different if there's a group meeting and I always cringe when people give out phone numbers too. June

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 15 Oct 2004 08:26

Among my many reincarnations in this life I have spent 11 years in the Prison Service. Consequently I trust no one. Present company excepted. Remember on here you can give out mis-information as well as information. No one knows if you are sharing your true self or not. I can be who I choose on any day-So can you Rose Is Rose my proper name. Not if I have any sense it isn't.