General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

xmas 2004

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 16 Oct 2004 23:10

as its only weeks away is anyone looking forward to it or wish it was'nt so near hilary.

Joy

Joy Report 16 Oct 2004 23:11

I always look forward to Christmas, don't count the weeks or days though ... and got to move house before then!! running out of bubble wrap. pop. Joy

Patricia

Patricia Report 16 Oct 2004 23:17

Hilary. I love it, spent today going round the garden centre looking at the lights etc. Only problem I have is, all the children are grown up now, so no toys to buy and watch them unwrap.. My tree goes up on the 27th Nov for my sons birthday.. Pat

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2004 23:20

Yes, yippee, me too! My order arrived from Lakeland today so I can now start making my Christmas cards. Most of the pressie shopping will be done at half term (work in a school!). Will start putting one extra item a week into shopping trolley (choccy biscuits etc). Then the tree goes up the first Saturday in December, and the Christmas CDs come out in the car. Mandy :)

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Oct 2004 23:20

Christmas turns up at the same time every year. We all survive and we all have a good time. I can't see what the point is in getting stressed. I have ordered some card-making stuff so we can make our own cards, I have bought a couple of presents and have ideas for others, we will probably stay at home with the children and then visit family between Xmas and New Year. Chill and enjoy! nell

Sidami

Sidami Report 16 Oct 2004 23:20

I think that Christmas starts far too early, by the time it gets here I have had enough and for two days is it really worth all the hassle. Christmas is not about how much food and booze you can drink, I think people get too much in to dept also. It is nice to have the family around you, but really does it have to be Christmas before people do all of that..... People spend far to much money, for which some of them havn't got, sorry to be a bit of a scrooge........ but you did ask our opinions.

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 16 Oct 2004 23:39

Wish it wasn't so near, as this year's flown by so quickly, it really has. Blimey, I sound like a "Bah Humbug" now! Have brought the Xmas cards down from the attic, and thought about getting some presents, as it's the thought that counts .............. Apart from that, done nothing. Oh yes - I also brought my special Xmas woolly socks down from the attic recently with the other winter clothes, but haven't worn them yet (the socks, that is!). Glenys.

Lisa

Lisa Report 16 Oct 2004 23:43

I USED TO LOVE XMAS, BUT IT'S HARD TO HAVE A DECENT XMAS WHERE I'VE HAD TO MOVE BACK HOME, AND MUM WON'T LET ME USE THE KITCHEN LOL...ERGH, LUCK I HAVE GOOD FRIENDS WHO DON'T MIND ME GATE CRASHING :o) HOPE YOU ENJOY YOURS. LISA

badger

badger Report 17 Oct 2004 00:26

I did'nt know you were moving too joy,is it far or ,like liz and i, only moving a couple of miles?. I'm afraid our christmas is on hold at the minute because our move is going to be very close and we usually look forward to the family on christmas day.Fred.gr.

Fee

Fee Report 17 Oct 2004 09:12

I cant wait,Im like a child in a sweetie shop.It is our little boys second Christmas and he will be more aware of it all this year.I love going around the shops and looking at the lights and gifts,he loves the snowglobes.It is all commercial but i still love it!

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 17 Oct 2004 12:49

Oh Liz, you poor soul, that must be terrible. This will be the first Christmas without her Dad for my sister-in-law, and she has mixed feelings about it. Thankfully she and her family haven't fallen out. Even though it wasn't your fault, could you be the first one to try and build bridges? I know it's sometimes easier said than done. Take care, Glenys x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Oct 2004 12:57

Liz, I hope that you can still get some enjoyment out of Christmas - hopefully with friends if not family. I do know how you feel, my Dad died on Christmas day 2001, he was ready to go as he was 93 but Christmas day is still a poignant reminder of Christmases gone by. we will have a good Christmas this year because we are spending it with our son and daughter in law and our two youngest grandchildren aged 8 and 2 and that is partly what makes Christmas, seeing the young childrens' faces and sharing in their magic. I love the season, receiving cards, still decorate even though no children at home, love the carols (except when they are done to death in the shops). I wish the shops didn't start quite so early, but then that does give people with not so much money the chance to spread the cost so we shouldn't complain. try not to get stressed everyone, relax and enjoy it, especially if you have young children, they soon grow up. Ann Glos

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Oct 2004 17:48

Sorry to hear about your Dad Liz, that must be so difficult. My next door neighbour's dad died on Christmas Day and even though it was 10 years ago, she says it's never the same. But Liz, you have your husband and children, and make lots of memories for them xx. I don't like all the commercial hype either, I like to think I remember the real reason for Christmas. But I find that starting a bit early helps to avoid the stress so that I really can enjoy!!

Margaret

Margaret Report 17 Oct 2004 18:18

I would love to go away for Xmas to somewhere warm but my partner loves Xmas in England. Maybe one day I will persuade him.

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 17 Oct 2004 18:19

I usually love it and plan from now on for it,but this year I have a feeling that we may be beside a hospital bed, I am just keeping my options open this year. Rose

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 17 Oct 2004 18:22

My Brother works in Goa, so this year my sister-in law will be with him, it will seem strange without them, they certainly won't be cold!. He loves it there, and is looking forward to xmas there.

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 17 Oct 2004 18:25

Pat I caught your note about no toys to buy. One year my daughter-in-law,who is great fun decided to buy all of us adults toys and it was a really fun year. We had remote control cars, kites,puzzles and a brilliant mediaeval fort which you built . It came with its own characters and a mystery story. A bit like a mediaeval Cluedo. We all squabbled for who had what . I think it was a fun year. I must confess I never did work out who dunnit -Rose

Sandra

Sandra Report 17 Oct 2004 19:05

I looking foward to Christmas, as this is our first christmas with our new adopted Daughter, although with some sadness as I lost my dad at the end of Sept. We were was really looking forward to a big family christmas, seeing we don't live nearby to our relations and he only got to see is new granddaughter once for a short time, but I shall makesure she knows what a wonderful kind and loving person he was although i shall miss him lots I have some wonderful memories xx God bless him

Lisa

Lisa Report 17 Oct 2004 19:12

looking forward to it as i have 14 people round for dinner.big expense thoughxxxx(: