General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

why are sales people so pushy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kylie from perth in oz

kylie from perth in oz Report 21 Oct 2004 08:52

was out shopping today and was looking at some little chinese ornaments for me to feng shui the house well the lady serving me asked me to draw my house so i did next she had all the stuff i needed and had added it up and told me to pay i said oh can i go and think about she says you need it for your house so i tricked her and offered to use my card that had no money in my account it got declined next she says leave a deposit so again used the card i said i go my bank and get you some money so i left walked towards the bank and took my son out of the trolley which he had fell asleep in and ran to my car which was on the otherside of the shopping centre just to get away so she didnt see -GOD THEY MAKE ME ANGRY

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 21 Oct 2004 08:54

Practise saying NO THANK YOU in your mirror - the more you do it the more it will come as second nature to you. You just have to learn to say NO THANKYOU!!!

kylie from perth in oz

kylie from perth in oz Report 21 Oct 2004 08:58

i said no thanks and saying i will think about it should be enough

kylie from perth in oz

kylie from perth in oz Report 21 Oct 2004 09:13

my mum quit her job 2 months ago cos her boss said she wasnt pushy enough she says you ask once and that should be enough and if they want you they ask for you people like to feel like they arent being watched

Annabel

Annabel Report 21 Oct 2004 10:01

They even try it in the post offices, do you need stamps, pens, etc, a polite no thankyou and when they come knocking on the door I say we do not give at the door. (we give to our favourite charities only), and the worst ones are telephone sales people I know they are trying to make a living but they can be very rude. ANN

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Oct 2004 12:10

The Sales people I can't stand are the ones who won't tell you the price. And when you ask them they go on to a long diatribe about the "benefits" of the product. If I don't get a straight answer I show them the door, no argument. I personally have been in Sales & Marketing for a long time and I just love watching the adverts on TV and seeing what it is that they carefully don't tell you. For example there is a Hair Product currently advertising that it covers "Up to 100% of gray hair" . They must think we are stupid. Or the foods which are "up to" 95% fat free, in other words they contain at least 5% fat and possibly more. Trouble is that so many Sales Companies know that their product is over priced. I have worked for firms who, if they could get away with it would give you a Sales Job, using your own car and telephone, the product is a ten pound note, the selling price is £30, and you get £3 comission on every one you sell. Believe me, they are out there.

Bec

Bec Report 21 Oct 2004 12:16

I used to work for a very (in)famous holiday company as a holiday rep. We were told to do ANYTHING to get a sale out of the customer. When I was the only female rep in my hotel I was given a group of 20 young lads and told to flirt and mess about with them until they paid! If someone only had £100 spending money for their holiday we would not only take all that off them but also persuade them to ring home and get more money wired over!! I'd like to add that I didn't believe in a lot of their practices and at the end of the season decided not to go back!! becx

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Oct 2004 12:22

Kylie, clearly you were not assertive enough. When I say no to someone I leave them in no uncertain terms that I do not weant their product lol

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 21 Oct 2004 13:13

It's not only in the UK. My son and I recently went to Calais for a booze cruise and we were pricing up the packs of beer when a very pushy French saleswoman began pestering us about her product, (let's call it brand X), being "good value". I like to price all brands and then make my choice and asked her to leave us alone, but she just kept on and on about her "brand X". I told her that if she did not go away she would not be included in our list of choices. But she came back to us again so we deliberately loaded our trolley with "brand Y". Then I used my electronic translator and said "TOLD YOU"

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 21 Oct 2004 22:50

Hi Kylie, I'm afraid I'm quite blunt to sales people. When I say "no thank you" and they persist, I repeat it and I've shut my front door on such a salesman before. And do you know what? He started asking my then 10-y-o son questions outside! Until I told him to leave, otherwise I'd call the police. In a shop, if a sales person won't leave me alone after me telling them I'm just looking thanks, I just walk out. Oh dear - makes me sound a right grouch, doesn't it! Glenys x

JG70

JG70 Report 21 Oct 2004 22:54

I worry about old people forced to pay £5000 for a new window or so. Double glazing salesmen have to be the worst offenders. I can't stand pushy sales people !

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Oct 2004 07:17

On the phone, they get you into 'Yes' mode. ie. Don't you think that sounds good? Would you benefit from that sort of deal? etc. We recently were contacted by an electricity supplier and it did actually seem a good deal so my husband asked them to send some information so that he could consider it. We thought nothing of this but were contacted by Saga saying they were sorry to lose our custom. The cheeky ones who had phoned had switched us over already. If we hadn't had that letter we'd not have known until the bank statement came.