General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any clever geographers/northerners?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 11:17

Hello everyone Does anyone have any idea how the boundaries of Derbyshire, Cheshire and Lancashire changed over the last 200 years? One of my families was from Strines in Derbyshire but I'm wondering if Strines has always been in Derbyshire? In anticipation Becx

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 22 Oct 2004 11:40

Bec Was your Charles Richardson a policeman? Just found on the 1881 census a Charles Richardson born Mellor, Derbyshsire. Had a look on Multimap for Mellor and it appears in Greater Manchester today. Just accross the way fromMellor is Strines. What do you think? Jeanette x

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 11:41

nudge

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 11:42

Jeanette I think he was a farmer. In fact I'm amost positive he was the farmer of Green Clough/Hough Farm. Thank you for your help

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 22 Oct 2004 11:49

Hello puzzled people. I had a similar experience with the village of Martin, shown in many nineteenth century sources as being in Wiltshire, but modern maps show it as Hampshire. I eventually found out that there was a large reorganisation of many county boundaries in 1874 when a lot of places were placed in different counties. I suggest you try your local county history society, (who all have websites), and you should find your answer there. Good Ancestor Hunting, Bernie

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 11:52

Thank you Bernie, You're a star! Becx

Philip

Philip Report 22 Oct 2004 11:59

Hello Bec, Bernie's comment is correct, there were a number of changes after the Government passed an Act in the early 1870s to introduce modern county councils. As far as I know, Cheshire, Lancashire & Derbyshire were not affected, but I stand to be corrected. The other big change more recently, of course, was the upheaval of 1974, when UDCs and RDCs were replaced by district councils, and the modern metro councils were introduced. That resulted in moving parts of all three counties into Greater Manchester. Can't comment on the Wilts/ Hampshire changes, but parts of Berkshire in the Vale of the White Horse district were transferred to Oxfordshire. Hope this helps, Philip

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 12:12

Thanks Phillip! becx

Geoff

Geoff Report 22 Oct 2004 12:45

It looks to me that Strines station is probably in Derbyshire. It's pretty close anyway.

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 13:07

Thanks Geoff becx

sandra rogers

sandra rogers Report 22 Oct 2004 13:18

hiya this is a good site for derbyshire www.wirksworth

Bec

Bec Report 22 Oct 2004 13:22

Thanks Sandra I'll have a look becx