General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MPs Pay and Allowances

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 22 Oct 2004 15:46

Are MPs pay and allowances reasonable and are there too many MPs anyway?

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Oct 2004 15:56

dont know the facts so not going to comment, other than to say that I'm sure there must be SOME MP's that earn their salary. As for are there too many - whenever I see the commens there's only about 20 there, that seems a reasonable amount lol

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Oct 2004 16:03

it's a bit like being a football referee isn't it, everyon'e ready to have a pop, but most people wouldn't want to take the job on themselves, and if they did could they do a better job ? Saying that... I'm sure a lot of them are in it for what they can get out of it, and no I don't think they're doing a good job at the moment. Said I wasn't going to comment didn't I ? lol

Mags

Mags Report 22 Oct 2004 16:13

Am I right in thinking that they pay all their staff from their allowances? As far as there only being a few MP in the chamber - I think that if they can find a 'pair' with an opposing viewpoint on the motion being debated, they cancel each other out so neither has to attend. I do think some MP's are overpaid but on the other hand there are some that earn their money. So no strong views either way. Magsx

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Oct 2004 16:36

Would like to earn what they are paid - but unfortunately they could be without a job next year or so. What really peeves me off is that at the end of the day their pensions are secure no having to top them up, and yes we are the poor souls that are giving them a cosy retirement. Lin