General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Iv made my will

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 23 Oct 2004 03:28

Me and hubby decided it was time to make our wills , I have lots of things i want to pass onto people,,some things arent worth much in a monetary value but they are special to me and i want to give them to peple i know will appreciate them. I made a list with names and address's and who was having what,,,,and hubby laughed,,he said it was cute,,!!!?? Last laugh on him though,,,the solicitor was MOST impressed,He said he wished everyone was more organised,, Im not trying to speed my own demise,,,,just want to be sorted,,What do you guys think?

Felicity

Felicity Report 23 Oct 2004 04:02

Quite agree with you and me and mine are about to make our wills too. I got a little ahead of the game as well - there are one or two things that I wanted to bequeath and I realised that I hardly used them anyway. So, I gave them to the recipient now. That way I'm sure they get them and they have the pleasure of using whatever it is without having to wait for me to pop my clogs. I get to enjoy their enjoyment of the thing too! I'm busy trying to persuade my children, all in their 20's or 30's that it's never to soon to make a will, but they're not really listening seeing as it's taken me so long! :-)

Happy

Happy Report 23 Oct 2004 04:22

I'm in my twenties and I've been thinking really hard about making a will, first when I got married, then when I had kids.... I will do it, really...... Maybe I should wait until I have something to bequeath first though....!!!! I dont know that a mortgage and some old teacups and a dirty old futon count...

Deb Vancouver (18665)

Deb Vancouver (18665) Report 23 Oct 2004 04:35

I believe that everyone should make a will. If you don't your estate goes into the hands of the government, and who wants that. Having gone through probate - its a pain in the butt. Much easier to have your wishes down on paper. Deb

Mags

Mags Report 23 Oct 2004 06:07

We made our wills last year (just before flying to NZ - just in case - not that I was terrified of flying or anything!! lol) It's just a straightforward one, leaving everything to each other or on to the kids if we go together, it costs very little to do (I think we only paid £50) and will save a lot of hassle when we do 'go'. We haven't got anything other than the house of any great value so I have made other wishes known to the kids, by way of a letter kept with the will, and trust them to see to it after we've gone - if they want to fight over stuff that's not worth a light - I won't be there to worry about it! Magsx

SuzyQ

SuzyQ Report 23 Oct 2004 06:14

I believe in the saying "we're spending our childrens inheiritance". Then again I don't have any children of my own. I have told my step daughter that any thing we have left is hers. But I think i had better make a will just in case. I do have some family members I wouldn't want to benefit from my death.

Ramblin Rose

Ramblin Rose Report 23 Oct 2004 07:35

My husband and i MADE OURS YEARS AGO ,BUT THEY DO NEED TO BE UPDATED as circumstances change. Luckily I had a word with my Mum some weeks back about up dating hers. Which looks as if it was a good idea,as things are going. I asked her to leave evrything to her four great grandchildren. It may help them through college or somethng in the future. Rose

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Oct 2004 08:40

We have made ours just this week. Have given the instructions but not had the copy to sign yet. We were told to keep a list with our copy detailing particular bequests about jewellery etc rather than write them into the will. You can then update as necessary. If you are a single Mum have you considered who would be your children's guardian, if anything happened to you? Rights don't automatically pass to the Dad. It would be a good idea to make your wishes known.

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Oct 2004 11:14

claire it's good to write out a will as it saves alot of arguments.it took my husband nearly 10 years to agree to do the wills as he is so terrified of dying that he thought it would be an omen and he would drop down dead soon afterxxxx(:

Fairy

Fairy Report 23 Oct 2004 18:05

It's a good idea to get it sorted. We both made wills but I have a lot of china and 'things', so I did ' A Letter of Wishes'. It's a list of personal items which you want to give to certain people. You keep a copy also the solicitors have one. It's also perfectly legal as long as you sign it. Jo.