General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Increasing?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

syljo

syljo Report 24 Oct 2004 19:30

Are the average couple having more children now? Some years ago it was fashionable to have two children, but now there seems to be a trend to have larger families. How many brothers and sisters do you have? Sylvia xxx

Bob

Bob Report 24 Oct 2004 19:32

Strange Sylvia? I think it's actually decreasing. There used to be average 2.4 children per family and I think that's gone down to less than 2 in the UK - So a declining population.

Speedy

Speedy Report 24 Oct 2004 19:41

I am one of 4, but I have 3 children, my hubby is 1of 6 and he had 3, this is second marriage for both of us so between us we have 6 kids, what went wrong. :((( Bev

syljo

syljo Report 24 Oct 2004 19:43

I am one of two but my husband is one of 9. We have had 3 children. One daughter had two children but the other daughter doesn't want children and our son is not married. So different! Sylvia xxx

lou from leicestershire

lou from leicestershire Report 24 Oct 2004 19:45

i am 1 of 3 i have 2 but wud have liked more hubby is 1 of 5 sister has 4 brother has none

syljo

syljo Report 24 Oct 2004 19:49

I guess it is not always by choice if you only have two. My daughter had a bad time with her second, so that's where she stopped. Quite rightly! Sylvia xxx

Nanna Gaynor  (June nr Preston's Daughter)

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 24 Oct 2004 19:56

I have two but wish I had more now that they are grown up!

Carol

Carol Report 25 Oct 2004 15:39

I am 1 of 2, other half is an only one. We have no children, my brother has 3, (2 from first wife and 1 from second) Late husband has 3 sisters and 2 of them have 1 each and the other has 2.

valinkent

valinkent Report 25 Oct 2004 16:17

I have 4 sisters and 1 brother my husband had 3 sisters and 2 brothers We have 3 sons 2 of our sons have 2 children the other son is not married yet.My grandchildren are also boys .

Sean

Sean Report 25 Oct 2004 16:24

ive got two boys ,but didnt know we were being trendy, we stopped because partner had 2 caeserians and had lots of scar tissue .so to prevent any more major surgery i had the snip, im more than happy with the little blighters ive already got

syljo

syljo Report 25 Oct 2004 18:03

The moslim girls here - Moroccan and Turkish - seem to have the most, but I think the Dutch are having at least 3 now. Must be the Family Allowance being so attractive. Sylvia xxx

Big Shaz

Big Shaz Report 25 Oct 2004 19:51

I am 1 of 2 I have had 6 My sister had 2 and got sterilised.

Andy

Andy Report 25 Oct 2004 20:00

My Dad was one of two in the '20s. I'm one of two in the '40's. My Wifes Dad was one of 22 of whom 13 lived in the 1880's - 90's. She was one of 3 in the 30's to 1950 when my wife was born. We have 2 daughters, one at the age of 32 pregnant with first child. May? have another. No sign of daughter No 2 settling down enough yet! My sister has one son and that's it. So I would say families are shrinking in my experience.

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 25 Oct 2004 20:23

I am 1 of 2 Hubby 1 of 5 we have 1 then I got 'boiled'!!

Ann

Ann Report 25 Oct 2004 21:19

I think the way people live has changed so much, that large families today are not always viable. My g-grandparents had six children, they also had 3 lodgers. That is 11 people in a two up two down. I don't know where they all slept- children must have been 'topped & tailed' in the same bed- lodgers stuffed in under the stairs perhaps!! That would not be acceptable today, six kids would require a huge house, lots of people would not be able to afford it, it is the cost that prevents a lot of people from maybe having more that two.

syljo

syljo Report 25 Oct 2004 22:05

My mother was one of 9 girls. When I looked at my grandmother's house, I thought "where on earth did you all sleep". There was no privacy in those days. Not so long ago, my husband's 7 sisters and 1 brother lived in rooms above their shop, again no privacy, attic converted, etc. etc. but nice in some ways. Sylvia xxx