General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Changing place of birth?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosina

Rosina Report 25 Oct 2004 23:14

My mother's father is listed on her birth certificate, on his marriage certificate, his death certificate and on the 1901 census as William Bartlett. The address, 53 Cornwall Street, is the same on all mum's birth cert, his death cert and 1901 census. On his marriage cert his father is listed as William Henry Bartlett (deceased). He is 23 in June 1896 (marriage cert) and 29 on the 1901 census. Slight discrepancy in age there but not enough to worry about? Says he was born London St Georges (which is where he was living when the census was taken). I think I've found him on the 1891 and 1881 census in the same street but at number 58. However: 1891 census 58 Cornwall Street William H Bartlett; head; age 50; general labourer; born Portsmouth Hants Johanna Bartlett; wife; age 48; born London Minories William Bartlett; son; age 17; carman; born Essex Ongar 1881 census 58 Cornwall Street William H Bartlett; head; age 40; general labourer; born London Middlesex Johanna Bartlett; wife; age 38; born Kensington Middlesex Joseph Donohue (Bartlett); stepson; ropemaker; born Stapleford, Essex. William Donahue (Bartlett); stepson; age 7; born Hampshire I've not heard that my grandfather had a stepfather, but that doesn't mean he didn't and it's possible that by the time he married he'd forgotten that William H Bartlett wasn't his 'real' father. With the same names and same ages (plus ten years for the census) at the address it seems unlikely that this wasn't the same family but I'm confused by the discrepancy inthe places of birth. Comments? I've found a marriage between William Henry Bartlett and Johana Donoghue in Stepney in the September quarter of 1880 which I guess might be William and Johanna. I ordered the certificate today.

Bob

Bob Report 25 Oct 2004 23:18

Although not adjoining Stapleford and Ongar are close. If he was born between the two, different people could give different places of birth. Bob

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 25 Oct 2004 23:35

Is this him? DONOGHUE, William Record Type: Births Quarter: December Year: 1872 District: Hendon County: Greater London Middlesex Volume: 3a Page: 124 (click to see others on page) Hendon Created 1st July 1837. Sub-districts : Edgware; Harrow; Hendon; Willesden. GRO volumes : III (1837-51); 3a (1852-1930). Edgware, Great Stanmore, Harrow on the Hill, Harrow Weald, Hendon, Kingsbury, Little Stanmore, Pinner, Twyford Abbey (1837-62), Wealdstone, Wembley, Willesden (1837-98). Brenda

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 25 Oct 2004 23:37

Probably not, I'm getting Stapleford & Stanmore muddled in my old age. Several Donoghues for London in the period, though.

Michelle

Michelle Report 26 Oct 2004 09:10

Rosina my Great Grandmother was Rosina Jackson. Felt quite strange when I saw your name. M.