General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

were you,or yours,born with C.L.A.P.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Oct 2004 23:24

my eldest daughter,was born 23yrs ago,with..cleft lip and pallet..i was heartbroken,a boy ok!,but a girl,who we wont to be so pretty?...pushing her in a pram,the cruel remarks were unbearable at times...saw this guy at roehampton,was the micro surgeon,who was going to put her face back! he was a really big man,a rugby player,i looked at his hands,twice the size of mine..oh god!! how can he do micro surgery,on my tiny babies face? well,he did!!...all eleven operations...and now she is soooo beautiful,and ime sooo proud of her,as she qualified last year,as a nurse,and now works at the..royal london hospital. if you,or your friends have CLAP in their life,let them email me,as i have studdied this,and will be glad to help,in any way bryan.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Oct 2004 23:28

Bryan I agree it might be an idea to amend CLAP to Cleft palate! Glad all turned out well. There are a high proportion of rugby-playing surgeons/doctors and they have to have good hands - you can't play well unless you can handle the ball properly. nell

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 27 Oct 2004 23:30

oooh bryan its what i thought too !!!!! (slap wrist for such rude thinking) E x

Melba64

Melba64 Report 27 Oct 2004 23:41

Bryan. I was glad to read this thread. I watched a programme on the tv a couple of weeks ago about late abortions because of disability. There was one done because the child was going to be born with a double cleft and it was decided that this was a severe 'handicap' (I hate that word but that is the one used). I think abortions are often done too easily. I have spina bifida and this would have been classed as a 'severe handicap' so I probably wouldn't be here if my mum could have had a scan to diagnose it in the 60's. I am living independently, drive a car, work, have a fiance and am very happy with my life thank you very much. Being born disabled isn't the end of the world. It is just the world's idea that everyone has to be 'perfect' that makes it such a terrible thing in most people's minds. Mel

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Oct 2004 00:18

the medical terminology is CLAP,but ive ammended it,so that we keep this,as a friendly site. bryan.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 28 Oct 2004 00:19

Just teasing you Bryan ! E x

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 28 Oct 2004 08:36

Oh i am so pleased everything has worked out well for her! I know people can be so sick! Give her my best wishes! xxxxxx