General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are ponchos fashionable now?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 29 Oct 2004 12:40

I see lots of people wearing them and it makes my mind race back to the 70s.

Poolmaster

Poolmaster Report 29 Oct 2004 12:43

not for a bloke john! not now, not ever!

John

John Report 29 Oct 2004 12:44

Paul, you might like one from here: www.theponchoshop.*co.uk

Philip

Philip Report 29 Oct 2004 12:44

Think it's the present fashion, John. Paula tells me that there's a great demand for them in the shop, we simply can't get them in fast enough. Philip

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 29 Oct 2004 12:46

Im not wearing one, It'll look like a blooming tent on me lol. Looks better on slim gals E x

Fee

Fee Report 29 Oct 2004 12:51

Apparently so but I wont be wearing one,I dont want to look like the man with no name!!

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 29 Oct 2004 12:52

i cant stand them!!!! But i love the cowboy boots that are in fashion, im buying a pink pair!!! xx

**Sheesh

**Sheesh Report 29 Oct 2004 12:58

I think theyre horrible, i can remember having a multi-coloured crocheted one in the 70's. My 2 daughters went mad for one a few weeks ago cos all the kids are wearing them now. Steedie the pink cowboy boots sound the biz :-)

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 29 Oct 2004 13:00

they are...there absolutley gorgeous!!!! Might get a cowgirl outfit to go with em!! lol, well actually i have to anyway, as im dressing up as a cowgirl at my fellas fancy dress xmas do!! xxx

Mags

Mags Report 29 Oct 2004 13:13

If I'm right, the ones in fashion today are a lot shorter than the ones we used to wear. Mine used to come nearer my knees than my waist and worn with long flowy skirts rather than jeans. I think they look really cute on little girls but just too short on anyone over the age of 10 or so - they don't look quite right - but perhaps that's my brain in a time warp! Magsx

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 29 Oct 2004 13:13

I've got 2 poncho's that are so so snuggly and i was sad enough to some them first time round too!! Cowboy boots don't do it for me as i too had those first time round and feel a bit mutton dressed as lamb in them!!

Sean and  Ray

Sean and Ray Report 29 Oct 2004 13:15

yes and i am selling abercrombie and fitch ones for £20 if you want one !

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 29 Oct 2004 13:17

My Mother knitted me one in the seventies. It was brown and orange. Don't think I'll be giving up my fleece though. They're far too draughty for me!

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 29 Oct 2004 13:21

Sean.... what are they like? what colours etc?

Dawn

Dawn Report 29 Oct 2004 13:30

My three year old thinks she looks fab in hers, infact she has several. She got her first one last winter from Accessorize and its gorgeous, must admit I have a couple too :-) Dawn x

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 29 Oct 2004 23:20

Takes my mind back to the war days. A poncho was a part of my army kit and kept everything dry when on the march, including pack and rifle. The rim of a tin hat on one's head acted as a small umbrella and kept drips from the neck area. It made a good groundsheet and one could alternativly fashion a small tent out of it. When not in use, it rolled up quite small. Len

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 30 Oct 2004 09:07

The one I wore as a child was white with blue & red stripes round the bottom, very patriotic! E x ((((BLUSH)))))

Nanna Gaynor  (June nr Preston's Daughter)

Nanna Gaynor (June nr Preston's Daughter) Report 30 Oct 2004 09:20

I used to have two of them in the seventies but I was only about 10 at the time and my Mum croceheted them for me. I actually quite like them specially the pink ones. I lurrrve pink I have pink boots, coats , tops, shoes. I'm all for pink! I have enough coats and jackets though, more than I can wear now so I probably won't get one. Gaynor :-)

Nina

Nina Report 30 Oct 2004 15:02

went to pick up my son from school the other day. the amount of mothers wearing ponchos, it was like a scene from " gunfight at the ok corral ". they don't look good on anyone except small children. don't be fashion victims! apparently they will be out of fashion by xmas. save your money and buy something that suits.

John

John Report 30 Oct 2004 15:17

A shell suit?