General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

need help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tina

Tina Report 31 Oct 2004 00:32

Hi all, i have a problem, i have norton anti virus and i have just run the update for the viruses when the computer turned itself back on after installing the updates the intrusion detection had turned itself off and i cant turn it on again i keep getting a warning saying cant turn on check to see if windows account is restricted what does this mean and where will i find the windows account. i really am a computer idiot so if anyone can help please remember i dont know what i am doing so can you explain reall simply Tina

John

John Report 31 Oct 2004 03:43

Hi Tina, I had the same problems with Nortons and couldn't get it going properly after that. Changed to AVG Anti Virus (from grisoft(.)com) which has a free download plus a Pro version. I used the free for a while to trial the package and had no end of luck with it so updated to the Pro version. Cost is minimal and free upgrades/support lasts for 2 years before having to fork out again. Best thing I ever did, it found viruses that Nortons missed altogether.

Estelle

Estelle Report 31 Oct 2004 07:13

Hi Tina, there is an excellent free online antivirus programme you can run. Type in Housecall and Trend Micro into Google. This will scan your system for any possible viruses while you sort out Norton. I have actually found it finds viruses that Norton does not pick up. I have paid for and use their antivirus prgramme called PC Cillin and am very happy with it. Good luck! Estelle