General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THE WEEK PAST FROM "THE SCOTSMAN"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindy

Lindy Report 3 Nov 2004 16:22

SATURDAY, JANUARY 17, 1824 ..............

Lindy

Lindy Report 3 Nov 2004 16:24

After the peace of 1814, Cape Colony became part of the British Empire. To counterbalance an almost totally Boer population, British settlers were introduced. In 1820 more than 5000 were brought out to settle around Grahamstown and Port Elizabeth, but the bright future which they had been promised failed to materialise for many. E.D.T. DISTRESSED STATE OF THE EMIGRANTS TO SOUTH AFRICA The London papers contain a "Report of the Society for the Relief of Distressed Settlers in South Africa", delivered at a general meeting held at Cape Town, September 17, 1823, to which is subjoined an Appendix of Letters and other documents illustrative of the present condition of the settlers. The two following letters were written by gentlemen who ..... had lived in genteel and comfortable circumstances in their native country. Graham's Town, December 23, 1822 - "... My wheat, two months ago the most promising I ever saw in any country, is now cut down and in hand for burning before we plough the ground again. The rust has utterly destroyed it, not a grain have we saved. "My barley, because of the drought and a grub which attacks the blade, produced little more than I sowed. My Indian corn, much injured by the caterpillar: the beans all scorched with hot winds; and carrots run to seed. The potatoes are good, but I have but a small quantity. "On Saturday, whilst watching by the sickbed of my dear little girl, I was startled by the cry of wild dogs. I ran to the window and saw about thirty of those ferocious animals; before I could drive them off they killed 20 of my flock, which consisted of them all. I stood for a moment thinking of my misery - my dying child - my blasted crops - my scattered and ruined flock. God's will be done! I have need of fortitude to bear up against such accumulated misery. Farewell." Feb. 17, 1823 - "To my friends and the friends of humanity. If I could see any kind of my own bread of my own growing I should be happy. "Tis now nearly three months since we had any bread to eat, and indeed, very little rice. If I could any way get a bag of meal, it would be a great relief. We are very badly off for breakfast which now consists of a bit of fried cabbage, or pumpkin stewed. If we once again get bread, we will enjoy it sweetly." ******************** The following interesting passages are extracted from the Journal of Mr F - who travelled through the English locations in March and April last . . . April 4 - "On reaching Wilson's party we met with many persons who had formerly been in a respectable situation of life and had brought out some property with them. I spoke to one or two respectable woman, who by replying, immediately convinced me that they had been educated, and brought up in good society; though they appeared to be half starved and almost broken-hearted, with their persons neglected and in rags. "Captain - and his two sons were without shoes or stockings; and actually without sufficient clothing to cover their naked limbs. "Their corn had totally failed and their garden had hardly produced anything in consequence of drought and caterpillars." ............... Copied from the ZA-IB Board