General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HEEEELLLLPPPP!LET ME IN!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Nov 2004 23:07

I have only been able to access this site once in the last ten days! I get in easily enough, it greets me brightly by name, but everything I try to access is covered by a sheet of blank white paper. I got in somehow yesterday, to the accompaniament of a most maddening pop-up, every time I moved the mouse, the pop up popped up. In the green column to the left of the screen, in the square just under View Trees, I have a blank green overlay with a tiny red square, green circle and blue trian- whats this about then? I cant access any boards, Ive got messages waiting and I cant get to them - I cant even get to the "tell us your problems" thingy. Ive only got in tonight by discovering that when a blank page comes up, if I go "off-line" I can read the text and hopefully, type this message. However, as my phone provider charges 5p per reconnection, this is an extremely expensive way of doing things - HELP ME, SOMEBODY please - Im missing the Boards, apart from anything else!

John

John Report 3 Nov 2004 23:16

Hi there, If you have a "Firewall" then maybe that's your problem? John - with "touch wood" no prob's.

Pat

Pat Report 3 Nov 2004 23:22

Marjorie I don't know when you will see this but it might be adware has taken over your computer. I know judy in the States has something about it on her routine maintenance. If you like I could contact Genes for you and ask for assistance as well. Hope it gets sorted soon. Pat x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Nov 2004 23:30

Thankyou both - Im in at the moment, along with a pop-up. Firewall? That sounds familiar, I installed a CD Rewriter last week which has a firewall. I thought a firewall protected you from harm? Im a computer divvy. Thinks: this pop-up thingy keeps asking me if I want to install a Macromedia Player - I assume I dont want to, but is it perhaps trying to help me?

Phoenix

Phoenix Report 3 Nov 2004 23:35

I finally got easy access to GR when I clicked the button inviting me to install the Macromedia flashplayer (or whatever it's called). I dislike loading software that appears simply there to make me see adverts, but it has cured the problem. This does seem to be the route that others with the same problem have suggested, and it has, touch wood, worked. I wondered where you'd got to. I've missed your contributions. Good luck Brenda

Pat

Pat Report 3 Nov 2004 23:48

Brenda is right I would install macromedia it doesnt make your computer act strange, you need it for some sites that have sophisticated graphics. I have had macromedia and all computers I have had and never had a problem. Hope you are succesful Marjorie and we will see you back here again soon. Good Luck Pat x

An Olde Crone

An Olde Crone Report 3 Nov 2004 23:52

Ah, thankyou Brenda! I have been ignoring this stupid pop-up thing for ten days! I shall now go off and install it. I should have realised because I dont have a problem with any other sites, but am programmed to ignore pop-ups, especially something as incomprehensibly described as a Multi Media Flash Player! Thought it was summat to do with computer games. Hopefully I shall be back on here tomorrow. Night-night everyone.